Queensborough is Sole Community College to Present at National American Chemical Society

September 10, 2012 | Queensborough Community College

Queensborough Community College chemistry students presented 28 posters – more than any participating four-year colleges – at the 244th meeting of the National American Chemical Society, held in August in Philadelphia. A $1.6 million National Science Foundation STEP grant—initially awarded in 2007—supported Queensborough’s participation, the only community college among senior colleges at the event.

“It is virtually unheard of for community college students to present their research findings at a National American Chemical Society Meeting,” said Dr. Paris Svoronos, Professor, Chemistry. He added “Queensborough has led the nation in this endeavor beginning with one student in 2000 and more than two dozen in 2012.”

The group included freshmen and graduates who conducted work at QCC or off campus in joint projects.

Fathima Nazumudeen, ʻ11, has conducted undergraduate research at Queensborough, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration laboratories, and Queens College, where she is pursuing her bachelor’s degree in chemistry.

“I know many students at the four-year level who aspire to participate at the regional and national meetings so I feel honored to be included,” said Fathima, whose research at Queens College centers on determining the toxic effects of antioxidants on cancer cells.

May Myat Moe, ʻ11, collaborated on the cancer cell research project with Fathima at Queens College, where he is also continuing his studies in chemistry. He conducted his own work at Queensborough as well as at Stony Brook University, as part of his Biology Participation in Research and Education Program (BioPrep) internship.

“English is my second language, so it was great to practice describing my findings to various science professionals,” said May. “My ultimate goal is to become an OB/GYN, specializing in critical care.”

On August 20, alumni Kevin Chavez and Marjorie Morales, who both graduated in January 2012, received scholarships as ACS Scholars. They were among 100 students chosen nationwide. Marjorie and Kevin now attend Stony Brook University.