Alumna Awarded for Leadership by Asian Women in Business

January 22, 2013 | Queensborough Community College, Uncategorized

Sheryll Pang, who received an associate degree in 2011, has been awarded a scholarship from Asian Women in Business.

The coveted award recognizes exceptional Asian female students who have demonstrated a strong commitment to scholarship, leadership, community service and/or entrepreneurship.

“It feels wonderful to receive this honor,” said Sheryll, who applied for the scholarship while a member of QCC’s Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society. “I’ve been consumed with school and work for so long. Now I can take a moment to sit back and enjoy my accomplishments.”

Currently a student at Baruch College, Sheryll studied business administration at QCC. In addition to being a member of PTK, she attended the 2011 Student Leadership Conference at Edith Macy Conference Center, where QCC students participated in a roundtable discussion with college administrators on campus issues and leadership skills.

“I was a night student, so this was my first opportunity to meet other QCC students,” said Sheryll, who cares for her three-year-old son, Jayden, during the day. “Jayden inspires me to achieve my goals.”

Another source of inspiration for Sheryll was the faculty at QCC who “challenged me in a way that helped me prepare for a four-year school.” Sheryll carried a 3.96 GPA at QCC.

Sheryll was also busy as a New York Needs You fellow, attending workshops for career preparation and networking with industry executives. “The program helped with my decision to transfer to Baruch to obtain my bachelor’s degree.”

At Baruch, Sheryll is a majoring in finance and investments. She is triple minoring in economics, international business and advanced business analysis, which is part of Baruch’s Zicklin Undergraduate Honors Program.

During the summer of 2012, she served as an intern at the Jones Group, an apparel conglomerate, in the corporate strategy and mergers and acquisitions division.

“I’m heading in the direction of investment banking,” said Sheryll. “I like the idea of helping companies gain capital so that they can grow. This will give me a solid foundation to build my own business in the future.”