Four Lehman Interns Headed to Vegas and the NAB

April 4, 2013 | Lehman College

Next week, four Lehman College students will fly to Las Vegas to start one of the most unconventional internships in the media industry: Sony’s Student Experience. The four interns will attend the annual NAB show— the National Association of Broadcasters’ media and entertainment convention—and spend a week at the Sony booth where they will get a chance to discover the latest broadcast technology gear.

The program started four years ago when Sony approached Lehman College students at the NAB trade show with the idea of implementing an original internship with Lehman College. “This program is a great opportunity for them as students to grow into professionals,” said Brendan McGibney, the Multimedia Center’s Technical Director.

The four interns selected this year, Vince Bracy, Wood Moonstime, Elizabeth Molina, and Dally Perez, have all studied television production at Lehman or interned at its Multimedia Center. “I was very happy to find out I was selected for that very original internship,” said Moonstime, a senior and Multimedia Studies major. “It’s not everyday that you get a trip paid for to go to Las Vegas and get a chance to work side by side with media professionals and maybe people you may have to work with or work for in the future, and that’s very exciting.”

The NAB show will open with a SONY seminar on Sunday, where McGibney will discuss the integration of innovative equipment at Lehman and the use of the Multimedia Center’s custom-built mobile television studio, also called “flight pack,” which Sony specially designed for Lehman two year ago. Most of the selected interns were trained in television production in the Center’s advanced facilities. “We pick students who are interested in TV and media and who we think will benefit from the experience,” McGibney said. “They are the first contact that people make at the Sony booth. They will learn how to network and how to talk to professionals.”

In Las Vegas, the four Lehmanites will join other student interns from Taylor University, and the University of California, San Diego. “This experience is really about getting to know people, asking people tips and maybe how to go about getting more internships and learning new techniques and different kind of equipment,” said Elizabeth Molina, who will receive her Bachelor’s Degree in multimedia journalism at the end of the semester.

Molina is currently interning at Sirius XM Radio’s interactive department and plans to build up her photo and video portfolio after she graduates this summer. “I’m looking forward to the challenge. I am trying to do my best to see if I can try to get my foot in the industry,” she said. “I am very hopeful about what is going to happen after graduation. ”

Media Contact: Joseph Tirella / 718-960-5746