ON MAY 8 THE @MACAULAY AUTHOR SERIES PRESENTS PATRICIA VOLK AND HER NEW BOOK, “SHOCKED: MY MOTHER, SCHIAPARELLI, AND ME”, INTRODUCED BY JOEL CONNAROE

April 24, 2013 | Macaulay Honors College

“An epic tale of love and liberation, which is to say a mother/daughter story. Patricia Volk is a wonder, and this memoir is as charming and wise as her larger-than-life mother.”

Stacy Schiff

Shocked is an irresistible tour de force that puts on display Volk’s intelligence, wit and sparkling prose.”

Louis Begley

The Spring 2013 @Macaulay Author Series concludes with best-selling author and fiction writer Patricia Volk, who will read from, discuss and sign copies of her tantalizing new memoir, Shocked: My Mother, Schiaparelli, and Me. A delightful companion to Volk’s widely hailed Stuffed: Adventures of a Restaurant Family, this inspired memory piece brings together a dreamy young woman, her beautiful, demanding mother, and the design legend that they both—and both differently–admired.  Joel Conarroe, President Emeritus of the Guggenheim foundation and former president of PEN American Center, will introduce Patricia Volk. Reception to follow.

Seamlessly adept at fiction and nonfiction, Patricia Volk has published a novel and two story collections, and contributed to The New Yorker, the New York Times Book ReviewThe Atlantic, and others. In Shocked, she marshals her compelling memories of a privileged New York upbringing to shed light on how the defiant life and extraordinary work of Elsa Schiaparelli, encountered as a ten-year-old in the designer’s own autobiography, helped her come to terms with a ravishing yet capricious mother whose Schiaparelli-scented lifestyle turned out not to be the destiny her daughter would choose.  Recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship and a trustee of Yaddo, Volk has taught at Columbia, NYU, and Bennington College. With this book, she sets a high, flourishing mark for the art of memoir and remembrance.

“If God is in the details, then this is one of the godliest books I’ve read in ages, because the details are priceless.”

Philip Lopate

May 8 – 7 PM

Reservations required:  For information and reservations please call 212/729 -2910 or online http://macaulay.cuny.edu/rsvp

These monthly programs, free and open to the public, are held at Macaulay, 35 West 67th Street between Central Park West and Columbus. Book-signing and reception to follow the reading.  Copies of the book for sale at the reception.

The @Macaulay Author Series

Steps from Lincoln Center, the popular new Upper West Side literary series is held in the landmark 1904 building of CUNY’s Macaulay Honors College.  Designed to bring booklovers in contact with acclaimed writers, and spark lively conversations in a neighborhood that has nurtured countless authors, @Macaulay is dedicated to outstanding writing and spirited intellectual exchange.