Three Fulbrights and One Jack Kent Cooke for CUNY BA

April 25, 2013 | CUNY Graduate Center

Three Fulbright Recipients, One Jack Kent Cooke Recipient

CUNY BA is especially proud to announce that three students have earned Fulbright Fellowships for 2013. They are:

Russell Barlow, a candidate for June 2013 graduation, whose Area of Concentration is Indo-European Studies. His home college is Brooklyn and his faculty mentor is Prof. John Van Sickle, Classics, Brooklyn College. Barlow will spend next year in Germany working with the Institute for Indo-Germanic Linguistics in Münster. He says “I will explore hitherto undiscovered parallels among ancient Indo-European texts. Specifically, I will compare Greek origin myths with Germanic and Indic traditions, placing Hesiod and the Homeric Hymns in a broader Indo-European context. My research will culminate in a dissertation revealing common metaphysical beliefs that underlie various Indo-European cosmogonies.”

Jaime Stettin, B.A. 2011, Literature and Cinema. Stettin was a Macaulay Honors student enrolled in Hunter. Her mentor was Prof. Gary Schwarz, Languages and Literature, Lehman.  Her Fulbright will take her to France where she will teach English in an underserved community. She says this experience “will help to solidify a place in my family’s long line of educators, and to polish skills and gain competence in a language that meant so much to my grandmother. As a citizen of the world and now specifically as an EFL teacher in rural South Korea, I recognize the importance of such an opportunity and the difference that I can make as an enthusiastic teacher and native speaker.”

Joshua Trinidad, B.A. 2012, World Languages and Literature / Translation and Interpretation. His home college was Hunter and he was mentored by Prof. Maria Cornelio, Romance Languages, Hunter. Trinidad will spend next year teaching English in Colombia. He says “As a dedicated student of language and translation, my goal while living in Colombia is to increase my fluency in Spanish and knowledge of Colombian culture. Teaching English is a career which I know and love and I have the skills and experience to be an excellent TA. My personal connections in Colombia will serve as a network of support for interacting with the local community through special projects.”

A fourth CUNY BA student is an alternate for a Fulbright to South Africa for January 2014.

We are also very proud to have a recipient of the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship, a $30,000 scholarship given for each of two years. This award is given to up to 60 students from across the U.S. annually, making it the largest private scholarship for two-year and community college transfer students in the country. This scholarship went to Azar Kafaei, a current student at BMCC whose Area of Concentration is Social Movements Studies.

CUNY Baccalaureate for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies (CUNY BA) is CUNY’s university-wide individualized bachelor’s degree where students work one-on-one with faculty to design their own degrees. CUNY BA is based at the CUNY Graduate Center.

PRESS CONTACT: Beth Kneller, bkneller@gc.cuny.edu
212.817.8238