Medgar Evers College Accounting Major Patrice Watson Named Class Of 2013 Valedictorian

May 30, 2013 | Medgar Evers College

WATSON PATRICE - Valedictorian

Brooklyn,  NY – Medgar Evers College Senior and Accounting major Patrice Watson was named Class of 2013 Valedictorian, and will graduate with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting with a 3.973 GPA.

On Saturday, June 1, she will deliver her valedictory speech in front of President Dr. William L. Pollard, Interim Provost & Senior Vice President Karrin E. Wilks, college administrators, faculty, City University of New York Trustee Kafui Kouakou and University Relations Senior Vice Chancellor Jay Hershenson, elected officials, family, friends, and over 1,100 graduates at the Jacob Javits Center.

Born in Brooklyn, Patrice grew up in Trinidad with her aunt, returning five years ago to the United States. She enrolled in Medgar Evers College as an accounting major, promptly receiving a four-year scholarship from Moet Hennessy to complete her studies.  In her sophomore year she joined the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) and quickly became the Vice President of the student chapter where she took on the important task of educating members about the accounting field beyond the classroom.

“I chose Medgar Evers College to be close to my son, and to be a part of a diverse campus community,” said Patrice, whose interest in numbers began while attending high school in Trinidad.  “When I came to Medgar Evers, I made it my duty to be a model student, not just for myself, but also for my son, Jaesean. I want my Medgar Evers legacy to speak of someone who is determined, helpful, smart, and successful so that everyone knows that any goal can be achieved with persistence and determination.”

“Patrice is a shining example of what’s great about Medgar Evers College,” said President Pollard. “She is a committed student who understands that education is a powerful weapon, having being named to the Dean’s List every semester and serving in positions of on-campus leadership, while expanding her college experience past the classroom and into and beyond the Medgar Evers College community.”

In addition to participating in senior class committees this year, Patrice’s on-campus leadership positions included serving as sophomore representative for the Student Government Association, student diplomat for Career Management Services, and as an accounting tutor. Most recently, Patrice was part of the inaugural cohort of the inductees of the College’s chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success.

“I have had a great educational experience at Medgar Evers,” continued Patrice. “The caring nature of the faculty, and in particular, Professors Authrine Thomas and Avril George-Robinson, was an important part of my time here, as they made sure we understood what was being taught and cared about our successes both inside and out of the classroom.”

“Patrice’s success at Medgar Evers College is ours as well,” said Interim Provost & Senior Vice President Karrin E. Wilks. “Her experience here speaks to the faculty and their investment in our students and their success. Patrice has made us proud.”

Patrice will begin work in an officer position with Bank of America’s Financial Management Associate program shortly after graduation, and plans to obtain a graduate degree in Finance. She would ultimately like to work as a Chief Financial Officer in the non-profit sector.

About Medgar Evers College

Medgar Evers College, a senior college within The City University of New York, was established in 1970 with a mandate to meet the educational and social needs of the Central Brooklyn community. With a commitment to students who desire a sound academic foundation as well as an opportunity for personal development, the College seeks to provide high-quality, professional, career-oriented undergraduate degree programs in the context of a liberal arts education. This year on June 12, 2013, the College will mark the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Medgar Evers who was killed as he returned home from his job as field secretary with the NAACP.

-30-