From Italy to Spain, Studying the Psychology of Crime

June 27, 2013 | John Jay College of Criminal Justice

spainKrista Giordano, who is majoring in forensic psychology, spent the spring 2013 semester studying in Florence, Italy through the College of Staten Island’s College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) program. John Jay students are permitted to participate in CUNY campus-based study abroad programs.

Originally from St. James, Long Island, Giordano says that the general elective program exposed her to different people and cultures that she had never experienced.

She took a broad range of classes in Florence including cooking, art history and psychology of crime. Giordano not only learned about the criminal justice system in Italy but the criminal justice systems in Spain and France as well since the three countries often collaborate to solve cases.

“I loved the fact I could learn about Michelangelo in a textbook and then take a trip to see the Sistine Chapel. It was very interesting to compare Italy’s methods for handling crime with other countries’ methods. I loved that I could travel to a different country every weekend,” said Giordano.

Giordano visited 18 countries and three continents during her study abroad experience including Switzerland, Poland, Holland, France, Czech Republic, Spain, Croatia, Morocco, Ibiza, and Sicily.

“I can’t believe this is my life right now! Everybody should do study abroad–it was the most amazing experience I’ve ever had, and I would do anything to go back.”

Despite losing power for three weeks as a result of Hurricane Sandy, Maureen Brady Coyle

Director of Office of International Studies & Programs said that Giordano demonstrated great resourcefulness and her commitment to studying abroad by meeting all deadlines regardless of her family’s hardships.

About John Jay College of Criminal Justice: An international leader in educating for justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice of The City University of New York offers a rich liberal arts and professional studies curriculum to upwards of 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 135 nations. In teaching, scholarship and research, the College approaches justice as an applied art and science in service to society and as an ongoing conversation about fundamental human desires for fairness, equality and the rule of law. For more information, visit http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/.

For more information, call:

Vivian Todini 212-237-8628

Doreen Viñas-Pineda 212-237-8645