Two City Tech Students Hailed As Promising Sound Designers with Scholarship to Attend Broadway Master Classes

July 23, 2013 | New York City College of Technology

Brooklyn, NY — New York City College of Technology’s (City Tech’s) Jacqueline Anscombe and Alexandria Bottiglieri were two of just six students worldwide honored with the 2013 John and Helen Meyer Scholarship to the Live Design Broadway Sound Master Classes (BSMC).

From left to right: John Monitto, Meyer Sound Worldwide Technical Support Director City Tech students Anscombe  and Bottiglieri, and Gavin Canaan, Meyer Sound Education Director. Photo credit: Courtesy of Live Design magazine.

From left to right: John Monitto, Meyer Sound Worldwide Technical Support Director; City Tech students Anscombe and Bottiglieri; and Gavin Canaan, Meyer Sound Education Director. Photo credit: Courtesy of Live Design magazine.

The two City Tech entertainment technology students were chosen from a pool of promising sound designers from around the world, which included undergraduate students, graduate students and recent graduates.

The two-day class was held last month at the NYU Tisch School of the Arts and brought together Broadway’s top audio professionals to discuss the creative, technical and practical challenges involved in creating sound for Broadway. The participants included undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students looking for additional training, working professionals looking to gain insight into theatre sound and anyone looking for networking opportunities with both established and rising sound design professionals.

For Bottiglieri, a self-described “theater nerd,” winning the Helen Meyer Scholarship to attend the master classes was the culmination of her hard work and sacrifices she has made to realize her dream of mixing sound professionally on and off Broadway.

“I remember seeing Chicago on Broadway and wondering how they made the sound so crisp and clear, yet able to fill an entire professional theater,” says Bottiglieri, an East Rockaway, Long Island, resident. Her experience includes working on a community theater production of Les Miserables and sitting with the board operator for The Lion King on Broadway.

“I want to conjure in others the same feelings that theater has always conjured in me — I want to make audiences laugh; I want to lead them to tears; I want them to be angry and start a revolution; I want to mend their hearts. I want to conjure the deepest of human emotions, and I want to do it through sound,” she adds.

Last winter, Bottiglieri, a lower senior at City Tech, had the opportunity to build her confidence when her Sound Engineering professor offered her the position of sound mixing a City Tech production. “It ended up being a great experience for me, being the sound crew head,” she explains. “It’s one more step towards my dream, as was this scholarship. I am excited to see what the future has to offer.”

Anscombe, City Tech’s other Broadway Sound Master Class scholarship winner, is a Yonkers resident who just graduated with a bachelor’s degree in entertainment technology, cum laude. She has her sights set on being a sound designer for theatre and film.

“I’ve always loved the theatre,” she says. “I entered City Tech as a computer systems major and transferred into entertainment technology when I found out about the program. I fell in love with my “Sound for Multimedia” course, working on my projects until the lab was closing and they had to come throw me out!

“I have been told, and I do believe, that I have a lot of talent and a very good ear,” she adds. “I really love working on the content creation for plays, and I’ve invested in professional hardware and software to be equipped to work in the field now that I’ve graduated.”

Taking the Broadway Sound Master class has given Anscombe a leg up on her career. “Not only did I gain additional knowledge and skills, but I networked with potential employers as well,” she says.

According to Abe Jacob, creative consultant for the BSMC, who helps select the winners. “The John and Helen Meyer Scholarships provide students — past, present and future — the opportunity to attend the Broadway Sound Master Classes and to experience the unique interplay of ideas and implementations going on in the theater today. I am grateful to John and Helen Meyer for their continuing generous support of this event.”

“The Broadway Sound Master Classes provides a great opportunity for those with a passion for theatrical art and a drive to learn from the industry’s best. Meyer Sound is pleased to continue our support for the program and the scholarship winners. We look forward to hearing their work on Broadway and beyond,” says Helen Meyer, executive vice president of Meyer Sound.

In addition to Anscombe and Bottiglieri the other Meyer Sound 2013 scholarship winners included Maggie Burke, Carnegie Mellon University, BFA sound design student; David Crawford, sound designer Los Angeles; Rachel Miller, BFA in theatre design and technology graduate, Pennsylvania State University; and Torben Kärst, sound designer, Düsseldorf, Germany.

New York City College of Technology (City Tech) of The City University of New York (CUNY) is the largest public college of technology in New York State. Located at 300 Jay Street in Downtown Brooklyn, the College enrolls more than 16,000 students in 65 baccalaureate, associate and specialized certificate programs.