MACAULAY AT HUNTER ALUMNA NOA KRAWCZYK WINS 2013 FULBRIGHT AWARD

October 21, 2013 | Macaulay Honors College

New York, NY – (October 15, 2013) – Tarrytown resident Noa Krawczyk, who graduated from Macaulay Honors College at Hunter last year, will pursue public health research in Brazil through a Fulbright Scholarship awarded last week. She is one of four Macaulay Honors College alumni awarded Fulbrights this year. In total, CUNY students won 10 Fulbrights, regarded as one the most prestigious awards programs in the world.

“I am so honored to be selected for this amazing opportunity. The Fulbright award provides recognition for my research and will allow me to pursue my interests on an international level,” said 23 year old Krawczyk.

Born to Argentinean parents, Krawczyk grew up moving back and forth between Israel and New York. She completed high school in Irvington, New York, and went on to graduate with a joint Bachelor’s degree from Macaulay Honors College and Hunter College in Biology. She was salutatorian of Hunter’s Class of 2012. Throughout her undergraduate career, Noa was interested in public health, particularly in Latin American communities. She spent a summer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where, with the help of the Macaulay Opportunities Fund, she volunteered at a community-based organization serving homeless and at-risk youth.

The summer after graduation, Noa went back to Rio to pursue a public health research internship through the “Mt. Sinai International Exchange Program for Minority Students.” Next year, Noa will return to Rio de Janeiro to pursue a Fulbright research project surveying current drug treatment options and how they relate to the needs of drug users. “I truly hope this project will bring us one step closer towards reducing the stigma associated with mental health and drug use and developing more humane and effective treatment programs around the world,” she said. Upon her return to the United States after the year-long program, Noa plans to pursue a doctorate in public health.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself. Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and a $7,500 Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. A Cultural Passport provides access to museums, libraries, and other treasures around New York City. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu.

(212) 729-2913
grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu