Students Encouraged to Apply to “New York Needs You” Fellowship Program

October 30, 2013 | Medgar Evers College

The City University of New York (CUNY) invites first-generation college students from all CUNY campuses to apply to the New York Needs You (NYNY) fellowship program.  The intensive mentoring and training program helps first-generation college students select, secure and succeed in their chosen careers. Over a two year period, Fellows develop relationships with highly-accomplished community and business leaders as they prepare to enter the workforce.

Participants earn up to $2,500 in professional development grants, access to summer internships at prestigious companies and organizations, receive individualized support from a mentor coach and obtain in-kind services and products such as free business attire, free writing and English as a Second Language (ESL) support and subsidized test preparation.  As the country continues to face economic instability, today, more than half of recent college graduates are either unemployed or under-employed. First-generation graduates face even tougher odds. That’s where NYNY can help.

The program is seeking focused, goal-oriented students who possess a strong track record of academic performance and leadership.  The application period for the program began on August 28th and is quickly approaching its deadline. Those interested are encouraged to contact the Career Center to start their application, which can be completed after finals, over the winter break.  To be eligible, students must meet the requirements below:

• Neither of my parents/guardians have a bachelor’s degree (in any country)
  • I am a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • I am a freshman attending a City of New York University (CUNY) 4-year University or Community College
  • I am in the process of obtaining my first associate’s or bachelor’s degree
  • I am available to attend regular Saturday workshops in Manhattan (workshops occur bi-weekly in Year 1 starting in June 2014; monthly in Year 2)
  • Must be considered low-income by NYS HUD standards. Click here for more information

The Office of Career Management will hold an information session, which will give an overview of eligibility requirements and the application process:

Thursday, November 7, 2013
11:30am – 12:45pm
Room S307
For more information: (718) 270-6055

To read more about the program and begin your application, click here.