November 6, 2013 | York College

October 21, 2013

Live from York College: WYCR Radio Station Receives Generous Donation from Founder

NBC Executive Ray Warren originally built WYCR and now gives it a second life

On the 29th anniversary of the opening of WYCR, York College announced a generous donation from the founder of WYCR, NBC Sports Executive Ray Warren, and SportsNet New York. Both donors will return to campus for a ceremony on November 22nd, 2013.

WYCR first went on the air at 8am on October 7, 1974 with Warren as host. The first three songs played were “Hear that Music” by Poco, “Listen to the Music” by The Doobie Brothers, and “My Music” by Loggins and Messina.  The radio station was originally financed by a $25,000 grant courtesy of the York College Association.

Ray Warren, who began to hone his craft in the WYC studio, today is an Executive Vice President and Chief Revenue Officer at NBC Sports, and attributes his career in broadcasting to his York education.

“I chose to attend York because of the potential to start a radio station where there was none, work on the radio station as a DJ, and have a lasting impact for students like me who are interested in radio,” said Warren. “It feels great to give back to my school and help other York students break into the world of broadcasting.”

Dr. Marcia V. Keizs, President of York College, heralded Warren’s work.  “The return of the college radio station adds a dynamic and vibrant voice to our campus,” said President Keizs. “Ray Warren numbers among our wonderful York alumni who have found a specific way to give back and sustain the opportunities York once afforded them.”

York College, a senior college of The City University of New York (CUNY), offers baccalaureate degrees in the liberal arts and sciences, accounting and business, journalism, communications technology, computer science, social work, teacher education and various health profession including nursing and physician assistant studies. York is the only CUNY senior college offering majors in gerontology, biotechnology, information systems management, aviation management; and a BS/MS in occupational therapy. For more information: http://www.york.cuny.edu

###