LaGuardia Community College Recognizes the Queens Borough President for Helping to Fund its Admissions Office on November 18

November 18, 2013 | LaGuardia Community College

Long Island City, NY—November 18, 2013—LaGuardia Community College on   November 18 formally acknowledged Queens Borough President Helen Marshall for the instrumental role she played in allocating funding toward the renovation of the new Admissions office.

During the ribbon cutting ceremony attended by students, faculty and administrators, Dr. Gail O. Mellow, president of LaGuardia Community College, thanked the Queens borough president for her support and the much needed funding.

“Borough President Marshall has always been a staunch supporter of LaGuardia and higher education,” said Dr. Mellow.  “Through this project, she ensured that students had a positive and welcoming initial college experience that will support them in their higher education endeavors.”

“I am very pleased to have been able to allocate $625,000 in capital funding toward the renovation of the admissions and bursar’s offices here at LaGuardia Community College and I am very grateful for the recognition Dr. Mellow and the entire LaGuardia family have bestowed on me today,” said Queens Borough President Marshall. “LaGuardia is a treasured Queens institution that has opened the doors of higher learning to tens of thousands of students who have sought the chance to pursue their dreams. I am happy to do what I can to make sure it has the top-quality facilities it deserves. During my tenure as borough president I have been privileged to allocate nearly $15 million in capital funding to LaGuardia, including more than $5 million for the expansion of the college’s library.”

The beautiful new Admissions Office, which is the first stop for students applying to LaGuardia, is a bright, spacious and open space.  There are 10 offices for staff; a 14-seat computer lab to assist students with their applications; and a smart conference room to hold a wide range of workshops from transfer credit to applying for financial aid.   The records office, where the processing of applications takes place is also in the new location where work can be done in a quiet setting.

Its location is also ideal.  Home is the C-building where it is close to other student services: ID office, registrar, financial aid and the bursar office.

“Due to Queens Borough President Helen Marshall support, LaGuardia has a space that makes sense for our staff, but more importantly, is open and inviting to our students and their families,” said Michael Baston, vice president to student affairs.  “In our new space, not only are we able to have informed and encouraging staff to welcome them to the college, we now also have an inviting space to them to start their educational process.”

Admissions moved out of a cramped space in Shenker Hall, which made serving students and processing applications a challenge.

“By supporting LaGuardia, the Queens borough president has touched the lives of so many,” said Reine Sarmiento, assistant dean of enrollment services. “Today, I celebrate this contribution and say thank you, on behalf of my staff and the students who will walk through the doors and this wonderful, modern facility for years to come.”

•    •     •     •

LaGuardia Community College located in Long Island City, Queens, was founded in 1971 as a bold experiment in opening the doors of higher education to all, and we proudly carry forward that legacy today. LaGuardia educates students through over 50 degree, certificate and continuing education programs, providing an inspiring place for students to achieve their dreams. Upon graduation, LaGuardia students’ lives are transformed as family income increases 17%, and students transfer to four-year colleges at three times the national average. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), LaGuardia is a nationally recognized leader among community colleges for boundary-breaking success educating underserved students. At LaGuardia we imagine new ideas, create new curriculum and pioneer programs to make our community and our country stronger. Visit www.laguardia.edu to learn more

###