J-School Board of Advisers Gains Three New Members

January 13, 2014 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

J-School Board of Advisers Gains Three New Members
Raju Narisetti

Raju Narisetti

Geneva Overholser

Geneva Overholser

The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism is pleased to announce the appointment of two industry veterans to its board of advisers: Geneva Overholser and Raju Narisetti.

The school’s founding dean, Stephen B. Shepard, who retired at the end of 2013, will also be joining the board.

Narisetti is senior vice president and deputy head of strategy for News Corp., involved primarily in guiding the digital growth of its media companies. Previously, he served as deputy managing editor of The Wall Street Journal and managing editor of The Wall Street Journal Digital Network. He also oversaw digital content at the Washington Post Co., and was founding editor of India’s Mint newspaper, which has an exclusive agreement to publish WSJ-branded content in that country.

Narisetti was named a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum in 2007. He is a trustee of the International Institute of Education, which administers the Fulbright fellowships, and a board member of ICFJ, the International Center for Journalists.

Overholser is a senior fellow at the Center for Communication Leadership and Policy at the USC Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism in Los Angeles. From 2008 to 2013, she was the director of the School of Journalism. Previously she held the Curtis B. Hurley Chair in Public Affairs Reporting for the Missouri School of Journalism, based in the school’s Washington bureau.

While editor of The Des Moines Register from 1988 to 1995, Overholser led the paper to a Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. Other former positions include ombudsman of The Washington Post, editorial board member of The New York Times, syndicated columnist for The Washington Post Writers Group, and reporter for the Colorado Springs Sun. She has been a columnist for the Columbia Journalism Review and frequent contributor to Poynter.org.  She also spent five years overseas, working and writing in Paris and Kinshasa.

“I’m delighted that as one of my first acts as the new dean of the Journalism School, I can announce the addition of such intellectually vibrant and wise counselors to our already exceptional board of advisers,” said Dean Sarah Bartlett.