Artifacts of the African Tribal Arts Kingdom to be exhibited in The Powerful Arts of Cameroon: the Collection of Amadou Njoya, at the QCC Art Gallery

January 24, 2014 | Queensborough Community College

Mask, Night Secret Society,  Western Grassfields: Bamileke, Bangwa, early 20th century

Mask, Night Secret Society, Western Grassfields: Bamileke, Bangwa, early 20th century

The potent beauty of celebratory festivals, initiations and other traditional rituals will be conveyed through masterful objects made of wood, metal and terra cotta in the exhibit, Powerful Arts of Cameroon: the Collection of Amadou Njoya, at the QCC Art Gallery, beginning January 30 through March 10, 2014.

Amadou Njoya is a fourth generation Cameroonian born into a family of distinguished artisans and advisors for the royal family of the Kingdom of Bamum. Known as Fons, their responsibilities include passing on cultural customs to younger generations, an oral history that dates back to 1392.

“It is a great honor for me and my family to display our treasures at the QCC Art Gallery,” said Mr. Njoya, who added, “My paternal grandfather and father were collectors for nearly four decades, from 1969 until 2005. Over the years, I gained an in depth knowledge about the pieces and was inspired to become a collector myself.”

“Cameroon is a culturally rich country, with some 20 million people who speak 250 dialects,” said Faustino Quintanilla, Executive Director of the QCC Art Gallery. “It’s distinctive diversity mirrors our own Queens community.”

The QCC Art Gallery, an educational and cultural resource for Queensborough Community College, as well as for all New York City and Long Island communities, boasts a superb permanent African Art Collection that has received critical acclaim from The New York Times art critic, Holland Cotter who states, “Queensborough Community College has quietly assembled an impressive collection of African Art…with luck, other university galleries around the country will emulate it.”  Over the years, the QCC Art Gallery has installed major exhibits of wide-ranging interests such as Post-Modernism paintings, Pre-Columbian Art, sculpture, photography, Chinese pottery, and works of established and emerging artists.