A Chance to Say Thanks for the J-School’s Former Dean

January 30, 2014 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

A Chance to Say Thanks for the J-School’s Former Dean

Shepard at commencementFormer Dean Stephen B. Shepard and his wife Lynn Povich have given the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism a generous parting gift: a $150,000 donation to a scholarship fund in his name. The fund will award J-School tuition money to carefully chosen graduates of one of the CUNY colleges.

Recipients will be chosen based on their undergraduate academic performance and their potential for outstanding careers in journalism. Initially, the fund will provide one-year, full-tuition scholarships to three such students every year.

The idea to launch a scholarship fund in Shepard’s name came from his friends, Bill and Sheila Lambert, soon after the J-School opened in 2006. They have donated a total of $200,000 since then. Shepard’s former employer McGraw-Hill gave $250,000 and other friends contributed as well. In all, the fund now totals nearly $700,000. The goal: to reach $1 million.

Providing scholarships to CUNY graduates has special meaning for Shepard, who relinquished the deanship to Sarah Bartlett on Dec. 31. “I graduated from City College, where I received a great education (and edited my first magazine) — all tuition free,” he said. “This, in a small way, is a chance to say thanks.”