CUNY TV Interviews Student Lissette Ortiz

February 25, 2014 | Medgar Evers College

Medgar Evers College (MEC) would like to recognize and honor the achievements of MEC Public Administration student Lissette Ortiz. Most recently, Lissette received the honor of introducing President Bill Clinton at Mayor Bill De Blasio’s inauguration ceremony. Ms. Ortiz represented the Courage, Strength, and Fortitude of MEC students fearlessly discussing the importance of compassion and social responsibility in government and politics before introducing the President.

Speaking at Mayor De Blasio’s inauguration is one of many achievements for the Dominican Republic born Ms. Ortiz. In fact, during the four years the MEC senior has spent at Medgar Evers College studying Public Administration, she has been an active member of the Latino Leadership Institute as well as a part of the New York Needs You (NYNY) fellowship. The fellowship is an intensive professional development program for high-achieving, first-generation college students. While studying at MEC, she has also interned at the Bronx Borough President’s Office, the Kings County District Attorney’s Office, and has been a member of the highly esteemed CUNY Model New York State Senate.

When asked during a CUNY-TV interview how she has been able to achieve such great things, she answered, “I work hard and always give my best in everything that I do.”  Ms. Ortiz will be graduating this May and she will be the first of her family to graduate from college. After she graduates from Medgar Evers College, Ms. Ortiz hopes to transform people’s lives through policy work that will advocate for better education and better housing.

Congratulations Ms. Ortiz on all that you have accomplished and all that you will accomplish in the future that is sure to make your family, MEC, and the community incredibly proud.

Watch Lissette’s CUNY-TV interview, here (5:45 minutes into the video).  For more information about the Public Administration department, please visit their webpage.

For More Information:

Jfraser1@mec.cuny.edu
(347) 563-1018