A Message from Interim Chancellor William P. Kelly to the University Community

March 20, 2014 | The University

Dear members of the University community,

All of us at the University were profoundly saddened by the collapse of two East Harlem buildings last week, which resulted in the tragic deaths of two members of the CUNY community: John Jay College student Alexis Jordy Salas and Hunter College Campus Peace Officer Sgt. Griselde Camacho.

On behalf of the University, I offer my deepest sympathies to the families, friends and colleagues of all the victims of this devastating event.  We are very concerned about all CUNY students, faculty and staff who have family ties at these locations and the nearby evacuated buildings.  We will continue to work with colleagues at the CUNY colleges to offer help as needed.

To this end, I have designated Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Frank Sanchez to coordinate University-wide relief efforts.  He will work with you on assistance to CUNY students and staff whose families have been directly affected, and in support of aid to the impacted communities in collaboration with appropriate agencies and organizations.

I am also asking that the appropriate offices at the University’s headquarters be available to work with Vice Chancellor Sanchez on fundraising opportunities, communication needs, and related support.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

William P. Kelly
Interim Chancellor
The City University of New York