Macaulay Honors College Student AUDREY STIENON Wins Prestigious Luce Scholarship

March 28, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

Audrey_StienonNew York, NY – (March 25, 2014) Congratulations to Audrey Stienon ’14, Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College, who earned a prestigious Luce Scholarship last month. Selected from a wide group of nominees representing over 75 colleges and universities, Audrey is the first Macaulay scholar to win this award for Hunter College.  Audrey will graduate this spring with a double major in Political Science and Economics, and a minor in Public Policy.

An initiative of the Henry Luce Foundation, this nationwide fellowship program is intended to enhance the understanding of Asia among potential leaders in American society. As a Luce scholar, Audrey will receive a stipend, language training and individualized professional placement in one of 15 Asian countries.

“My family has had an enormous impact on my academic choices. Growing up in a Belgian-American household, our yearly visits to Europe prompted me to study international relations in college, where I pursued study abroad opportunities in China, Crete, Argentina, Russia, Ecuador and Costa Rica,” said Audrey. She speaks French and Spanish.

Audrey’s younger sister suffers from a severe developmental disorder, inspiring Audrey to accept an internship at the International Disability Alliance, an advocacy organization at the United Nations. Later, she hopes to pursue a career that allows her to help traditionally marginalized groups around the world successfully integrate into society.

“Audrey Stienon joins an amazing group of Luce scholars and establishes a precedent for future Macaulay students,” said Macaulay University Dean Ann Kirschner. “Armed with the knowledge she has gained as a Macaulay student and her perspective as a global citizen, she will certainly achieve great things wherever she goes.” Audrey is also a Jewish Foundation for Education of Women (JFEW) Scholar.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu.

(212) 729-2913
grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu