Macaulay Student Ariel Yardeni Wins Competitive Fulbright-Hays Summer Scholarship

April 9, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

Ariel Yardeni photoNew York, NY – (April 8, 2014). Ariel Yardeni ’16, Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College, was awarded a 2014 Fulbright-Hays Scholarship. The Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad Program provides opportunities for overseas experience in non-Western European countries. Seminars are designed to provide a broad and introductory cultural orientation to a particular country or countries.

Ariel’s summer scholarship will support her participation in a Chinese-language immersion program in Beijing. She will also do field work in rural areas, and engage in a comparative study of contemporary society and educational systems in the U.S. and China. Ariel is especially interested in global health and health policy. She is a member and leader of the Peer Health Exchange at Hunter, which provides health education in high school classrooms across NYC. Last summer she studied Chinese at National Taiwan University. She is looking forward to learning about the education system in rural China and teaching young children in the communities she visits.

“I am excited to do something different and apply my language skills to solving real-world problems,” said Yardeni.  “I hope that my Field Studies experience will broaden my knowledge about China and show me first-hand what it’s like to work in an international setting.”

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu.