MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE ALUMNI REBECCA DELLICARPINI AND YASMIN ZAKINIAEIZ ARE WINNERS OF THE NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION GRADUATE RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP

April 22, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

New York, NY – (April 22, 2014).  Congratulations to Rebecca DelliCarpini ’13, Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College and Yasmin Zakiniaeiz ’13, Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College, recent graduates who have each been awarded one of the country’s top prizes for young scientists—the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.

The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based graduate degrees. Fellows receive an annual stipend, opportunities for international research and professional development, and the freedom to conduct their own scholarly work at any accredited U.S. institution of graduate research. The NSF has awarded these fellowships since 1952, and past winners are known for becoming leaders in their fields—both as researchers and as teachers.

DellicarpiniDelliCarpini is attending the Ph.D program in Environmental Anthropology at the University of Texas at San Antonio and is studying knowledge production in the context of conservation science. Her primary field site will be in Madagascar, at the Ranomafana National Park, where she studied during her junior year at Hunter, using her Macaulay Opportunities Fund grant.

“Macaulay gave me the resources to visit Madagascar the first time and to focus exclusively on my academics and service projects,” said DelliCarpini.

Yasmin Z.Zakiniaeiz, currently in her first year of the Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program at Yale University, is studying the neural networks underlying the healthy and diseased brain. Her Biology and Psychology majors at Hunter College and her study abroad opportunities in Spain, Argentina and Ecuador have allowed her to contribute a more worldly perspective to her investigation of the behavioral and cognitive functions of the human brain.  “I am honored to be a Macaulay Honors College Alumni and would like to thank Macaulay for guiding the start of my career in discovering new science” said Zakiniaiez.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

(212) 729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

#  #  #