Brooklyn Educational Opportunity Center Director Jacinth Hanson Honored by Borough President

April 24, 2014 | New York City College of Technology

Jacinth Hanson, interim executive director of the SUNY Brooklyn Educational Opportunity Center, which is administered by City Tech, was honored by Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams on March 18 at Borough Hall as part of his office’s Women’s History Month celebration. Hanson was honored along with more than 20 other women who have made significant contributions to Brooklyn, and included businesswomen, NYPD officers, firefighters, religious leaders, educators, musicians, and elected officials.

“When I first heard that I had been nominated, I thought, ‘That’s nice,’ but when I got to the event and met the other women, I thought, ‘Wow, these are some great women doing meaningful work, and making a difference in Brooklyn.’ So, I was pleased to be recognized, but also honored to be included in such a fine group of women,” said Hanson.

In his opening remarks Adams said that “compassion is a gift that keeps on giving, and no one knows that more than the women we are honoring today.” This is certainly true of Hanson who has been working in the field of education, training and workforce development for 28 years, serving Brooklyn directly for the last 16 years. As the interim executive director of the SUNY Brooklyn Educational Opportunity Center, she leads an organization that offers tuition-free training to eligible New Yorkers to provide a pathway to lifelong learning, college access and economic self-sufficiency.

Hanson has worked at all levels of training, from adult basic education to career and technical training, focusing on meeting people where they are and helping them connect to where they want to be. Hanson says that her “vision for Brooklyn is a borough where everyone has access to education and training, and the skills to gain employment that pays a livable wage.”
JacinthHanson pic2
City Tech (New York City College of Technology), of The City University of New York, is the largest four-year public college of technology in New York State and a national model for technological education. City Tech has an enrollment of nearly 17,000 students in 65 baccalaureate, associate, and specialized certificate programs.