MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT CHLOE’ SKYE WEISER WINS FULBRIGHT ETA SCHOLARSHIP

April 28, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

Weiser photo

New York, NY – (April 11, 2014 ) Congratulations to Chloe’ Skye Weiser ’13, Macaulay Honors College at Queens College, who is the recipient of a 2014-15 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in the Czech Republic. Regarded as one the most prestigious awards programs in the world, it is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program. A Fulbright English Teaching Assistant joins a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers.

“I will leave in August 2014 for my Fulbright experience in the Czech Republic. Afterwards, I hope to attend grad school abroad,”, said Weiser. “I see myself in a teaching or nonprofit career that blends literature, language-learning, and social and cultural consciousness.”

glish Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture.

“Chloe’ is brilliant and she has verve,” says Macaulay’s Scholar-in-Residence Mike Lamb.  “I can’t imagine a better ambassador, a better teacher, to share our country’s unique energy with the world.  I fully expect to see a spike in reported positive attitudes toward the U.S. shortly after her plane touches down in the Czech Republic.”

Chloe’ graduated from Queens College with a BA in English and Anthropology as a reflection of her intersecting interests in language, culture, and social consciousness.  She wrote her theses on utopian literature and female Jewish identity, respectively. She has tutored ESL students in the QC Writing Center for four years and is currently an Art Therapy Mentor at NY Asian Women’s Center to teens affected by domestic violence. Chloe’ performs spoken word with themes of social/reproductive justice issues and language. Also an avid traveler, she has studied in Greece and Israel, facilitated by the Macaulay Opportunities Fund.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

212-729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

# # #