MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT KARLA PADAWER SOLOMON ‘14 WINS FULBRIGHT ETA SCHOLARSHIP

April 28, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

New York, NY – (April 28, 2014) Congratulations to Karla Padawer Solomon ’14, Macaulay Honors College at Queens College, who is the recipient of a 2014-15 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in Spain.Regarded as one the most prestigious awards programs in the world, it is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program. A Fulbright English Teaching Assistant joins a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture.

“From the very first day, Karla stood out,” says Dr. Mike Lamb, Macaulay’s Scholar-in-Residence.  “She has always demonstrated such commitment, and it’s been our pleasure to watch as she has expanded her circle of influence and care over these four years.  This Fulbright award recognizes her spirit of hands-on engagement with the world.”

Recently selected to join Phi Beta Kappa, Padawer Solomon is graduating this May with a Bachelor’s in Psychology and two minors in Spanish and linguistics.  During her time at Queens College, she has focused on developing her communication and teaching skills as a tutor at the Writing Center, student mentor for the College Now program, and volunteer at the New York Deaf-Blind Collaborative (NYDBC) on campus.

Padawer Solomon was inspired to apply for the Fulbright last year, after taking summer courses at the Universidad Rey Juan Carlos through the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC).  Aside from teaching English, all Fulbright English Teaching Assistants are required to complete a community project to engage with and serve their placement community.  She plans to volunteer with Casa Sefarad, an organization founded to serve as “un puente entre España y el mundo judío,” a bridge between Spain and Jewish world.

“Last summer I met some really wonderful people from both the general community and Jewish community of Madrid, but they didn’t seem to interact much with each other.  To me, that’s a shame, because I am inspired by culture.  The reason I love Queens College so much is because the student body is diverse.  There are so many different communities and worldviews represented, and when you give people a space to be in together, amazing things can happen.  Casa Sefarad seems to occupy that niche of enabling interaction, and so I hope to get involved,” said Padawer Solomon.

She plans to pursue a master’s degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) after completing the Fulbright.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

Grace Rapkin

Director of Marketing and Communications, Macaulay Honors College

212-729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

# # #