MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT MARIYA TUCHINSKAYA ‘14 WINS FULBRIGHT ETA SCHOLARSHIP

April 28, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

Tuchinskaya PhotoNew York, NY – (April 28, 2014) Congratulations to Mariya Tuchinskaya ’14, Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College and CUNY BA, who is the recipient of a 2014-15 Fulbright ETA Scholarship in Bulgaria.Regarded as one the most prestigious awards programs in the world, it is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program. A Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) joins a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture.

“The Fulbright has recognized Mariya’s long record of service and scholarship,” says Dr. Mike Lamb, Macaulay’s Scholar-in-Residence. “We are so incredibly proud that a student of her caliber will represent our school and our country.”

Tuchinskaya majored in both Psychology and Speech Language Pathology by combining majors offered through Baruch College and the CUNY Baccalaureate Program. With her Fulbright Scholarship, she will spend nine months teaching in a high school in Bulgaria.

Born in Ukraine, Tuchinskaya immigrated to the US when she was 6 years old and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School at the top of her class. As a Macaulay at Baruch College student, she was an active member of Sigma Alpha Delta Honors Society and an Ask Big Questions Fellow. For the last 4 years she has been working at The Blue Card, a national non-for profit organization dedicating to aiding destitute Holocaust survivors.

“As a second semester freshman I was intrigued by what my Speech Communications professor told our class about a field I had never heard of before, Speech Language Pathology. A year later, after volunteering at Staten Island University Hospital, I was sure that this was a field I wanted to pursue further,” said Tuchinskaya. “With the support of my Macaulay advisor, I was one step closer towards a degree in Speech Language Pathology.”

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

Grace Rapkin

Director of Marketing and Communications, Macaulay Honors College

212-729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

# # #