MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT PATRYK PERKOWSKI WINS FULBRIGHT ETA SCHOLARSHIP

April 28, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

PerkowskiNew York, NY – (April 28, 2014) Congratulations to Patryk Perkowski ’14, Macaulay Honors College at Queens College, who is the recipient of a 2014-15 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in Malaysia.Regarded as one the most prestigious awards programs in the world, it is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program. A Fulbright English Teaching Assistant joins a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture.

Perkowski, graduating this year with a double Major inMathematics and Economics, has taken great advantage of the opportunities and experiences offered to him as a Macaulay student. Originally from a small town in Poland, and the first in his family to attend college, he uses the world as his classroom.  He studied abroad in Shanghai, China, picking up Mandarin along the way. During the summer before his senior year, he traveled to Ghana where he built a kindergarten classroom, took classes on international development, and conducted research on Ghanaian education policy in the wake of the Millennium Development Goals.

While at Macaulay, he was selected as a Goldsmith Scholar, which funded presentations of his research at various academic conferences around the country. He served as a research assistant to Dr. Leonard Rodberg, the chair of Queens College’s Urban Studies Department, investigating relationships between cost sharing, health expenditure, and health utilization for 28 countries. He co-founded the Macaulay General Assembly, a cross-campus group dedicated to holding discussions on honors college identity and student activism and serves as Macaulay’s  “official volunteer” photographer  – documenting the activities of many student clubs and teams.

“Patryk’s approach is so unique—he’s one of our great independent thinkers,” says Dr. Mike Lamb, Macaulay’s Scholar-in-Residence.  “At the same time, his research and his engagements are all in the service of a public good.  He’s precisely the kind of scholar—and human being—who will make the most of this honor.”

He is the recipient of many national awards and competitions, including: the Baker Institute Student Forum’s Undergraduate Public Policy Competition on Health Care Policy in the United States, a national public policy competition; and the CUNY-UNICEF Challenge, which will take him to Uganda in June 2014 with UNICEF officials to implement his team’s plan to address iron deficiency through oral iron supplementation.

“I knew I wanted to study mathematics, but I also knew that I wanted to explore interests in the liberal arts and humanities,” said Perkowski. “At Macaulay, I found an amazing way to not only make sure that I get a well-rounded academic experience but also learn about the city (and world) that I live in.”

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

Grace Rapkin

Director of Marketing and Communications, Macaulay Honors College

212-729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

# # #