MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT ZARIN TASNIM ‘14 WINS FULBRIGHT ETA SCHOLARSHIP

April 28, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

Tasnim PhotoNew York, NY – (April 28, 2014) Congratulations to Zarin Tasnim ’14, Macaulay Honors College at Lehman College, who is the recipient of a 2014-15 Fulbright ETA Scholarship in South Korea.Regarded as one the most prestigious awards programs in the world, it is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program. A Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) joins a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture.

“Zarin is an exceptional combination of intellect, tact, sensitivity, insight and leadership,” said Gary Schwartz, Director of the Macaulay at Lehman program. “The image which depicts her most accurately is the famous Japanese bullet train, and, put into NYC MTA terms, she is an “express”.”

After studying Korean language back home, Tasnim spent a semester studying Korean language and culture at Sungshin Women’s University in Seoul, using her Macaulay Opportunities Fund to support her participation in an exchange program between Lehman and Sungshin. A political science and history major, she has received numerous academic awards including the: Horace W. Goldsmith Scholarship, Jewish Foundation for Education of Women Scholarship, Freeman Asia Scholarship, and St. George’s Society Scholarship.  She has interned at the New York State Attorney General’s office, and is currently interning at the New York County District Attorney’s office.

“Getting a Fulbright was the combined effort of my professors and advisors from Macaulay and Lehman who believed in my potential to do so,” said Tasnim. “My experience through Macaulay and the Opportunities Fund has prepared me with a competitive foundation that I will use to my advantage for the rest of my academic career”.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

Grace Rapkin

Director of Marketing and Communications, Macaulay Honors College

212-729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

# # #