MACAULAY HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT HUNTER GROSS ‘15 WINS BOREN SCHOLARSHIP

May 29, 2014 | Macaulay Honors College

Hunter Gross Best Pic_n copy.jpgNew York, NY – (May 29, 2014) Congratulations to Hunter Gross ’15, Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College, who earned a highly competitive Boren Scholarship. Gross is pursuing a double major in Mandarin Chinese and Political Science and is in the Chinese Flagship Program at Hunter College.  He will use the Boren Scholarship to study in Tianjin, China during the 2014-15 academic year. Gross has also been awarded a Critical Language Scholarship to study advanced Mandarin in Qingdao, China, and he completed the Harvard Beijing Academy’s Chinese summer immersion program in 2012.

“You hear a lot about ‘global citizenship’ these days,” says Macaulay’s Scholar-in-Residence Dr. Mike Lamb, “And it’s students like Hunter Gross who bring real meaning to the term.  This is a brilliant young man who is actively making our future.   We couldn’t be prouder of him for winning this award—nor more certain that there are many more accolades in his future.”

The Boren Awards program provides U.S. undergraduate and graduate students with resources and encouragement to acquire language skills and experience in countries critical to the future security and stability of the nation.

“I am honored to receive a Boren scholarship, and I am beyond excited to spend my senior year in China,” said Gross. “My path over the past three years would not have been the same without Macaulay as well as the incredible Chinese teachers at Hunter College and the hardworking staff that supports us.”

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and New York City itself.   Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu

Grace Rapkin

Director of Marketing and Communications

212-729-2913

grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu