Medgar Student Earns Full Scholarship to Math Doctoral Program

May 29, 2014 | Medgar Evers College

The Medgar Evers College (MEC) Department of Mathematics proudly announces that Renford Alexander, a graduating senior, has gained admission to the competitive mathematics Ph.D. program at the University of Iowa.  As part of his acceptance package, Renford will receive a stipend of up to $135,000 over the five years of his doctoral studies, in addition to full tuition. “I’m excited that I’ve been accepted into this program because it will allow me to work on something I’m passionate about and I don’t have to pay for it,” Renford said.  He learned about the graduate program in mathematics at the University of Iowa when he attended the Field of Dreams Conference in Phoenix, Arizona organized by the National Alliance for Doctoral Studies in Mathematics.

Dr. Philip Ording, Department of Mathematics faculty member and Renford’s mentor, was not surprised by the news. “Renford enjoys doing and discussing math. He has always been actively involved in the life of the Math Department whether working as a peer tutor, participating in the math club, research projects, or conference visits.”  Dr. Umesh Nagarkatte, chair of the Department of Mathematics, commented, “I am convinced that Renford will develop into a very good researcher and teacher as he completes the highly-regarded Ph.D. program at the University of Iowa, and that along with our other newly-minted mathematicians, he will spread the joy of mathematics.”

During his tenure at MEC, Renford has received the Department of Mathematics Scholarship, Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Research Assistantship and has been on the Dean’s and Provost’s lists for several semesters.  Last summer, he completed a research experience for undergraduates (REU) at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he worked with Dr. William Stein to develop graphing capabilities of the open source computer-algebra system called SAGE.

Congratulations to Renford on this outstanding academic achievement!

About Medgar Evers College

Located in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, Medgar Evers College is a growing institution offering both Associate and Baccalaureate degrees.  The nearly 7,000-member student body is primarily comprised of those who are the first in their families to attend college.  A senior college within The City University of New York (CUNY) system, Medgar Evers College was established in 1970 with a mandate to meet the educational and social needs of the Central Brooklyn community.  With a commitment to students who desire a sound academic foundation as well as an opportunity for personal development, Medgar Evers College seeks to provide high-quality, professional, career-oriented undergraduate degree programs in the context of a liberal arts education.  For more information, visit www.mec.cuny.edu.