Medgar Evers Junior Receives Top CUNYAC Outdoor Track Honors

May 30, 2014 | Medgar Evers College

brathwaiteJust two months after being named MVP at the CUNYAC/US Army Track and Field Championships, MEC’s Samantha Brathwaite has been named the 2014 City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC) Outdoor Track and Field Performer of the Year.  Samantha beat all CUNY outdoor track and field female athletes to win two gold medals in the high jump and triple jump and she helped her team finish second in the 4×100 meter relay at the CUNYAC outdoor track and field championship.  

In an interview with CUNYAC officials, Samantha stated, “It’s an honor being named Performer of the Year.  I’d like to thank my coaches and fellow teammates for all their support this season.  I’d also like to thank the coaches around the conference who took the time to vote for me.  That means so much.”

In March, Samantha was named Most Valuable Performer at the 2013-14 CUNYAC/US Army Track and Field Championships held at the New Balance Track and Field Center.  The designation marked the first time that a MEC student-athlete has received the distinguished honor from the conference.

Samantha won Women’s High Jump and Triple Jump and finished 2nd in the 200m Dash and Long Jump.  She is the reigning CUNYAC Rookie of the Year and has twice won the conference High Jump championship.

Congratulations to all MEC student-athletes! Have a wonderful summer!