Up to $25,000 in Prizes To Be Awarded
NEW YORK, NY- May 30, 2014 – On June 5, Baruch College and the Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship will host presentations from the top 12 teams in the 12th Annual CUNY IVE SmartPitch Challenge, held at CUNY Central Office. Media are invited to Watch Live! as each of these teams make their final business pitches to corporate investors and business professionals. The winning teams will be selected to participate in a virtual business incubator ending with the launch of their concepts.
The Verizon Foundation, the competition’s lead partner, is providing a $60,000 grant to support this year’s SmartPitch Challenge, including $25,000 in prizes for the top five teams. The 1st Place team receives $10,000; 2nd Place receives $7,500 and 3rd Place receives $5,000, Most Innovative App receives $1,500, and Fan Favorite receives $1,000. Since the competition started in January, more than 200 teams from NYC colleges signed up to compete. Verizon offered mentors to provide infrastructure, marketing, and general business management support to the teams.
These top 12 teams were nominated by mentors to compete in the finale June 5:
- Advise Me (Baruch College) – Amobile app that produces class schedules and makes course recommendations utilizing user-submitted academic goals and scheduling preferences.
- Authentic Server (Baruch College) – A short-term training and job placement service for waiters and waitresses in New York City.
- Brand Transcendence – NYC Corporate Sponsored Rest Room Initiative –(Borough of Manhattan Community College) This marketing organization will offera symbiotic relationship with corporations and the MTA. Corporate sponsors assume the responsibility for renovating, staffing, and maintaining MTA restrooms and create an advertising campaign to be placed in sponsored restroom.
- Chatiry(Baruch College) – A web-based fundraising platform, where donating a dollar to a worthy cause enters you into a raffle for a chance to have a one-on-one private video chat with your favorite celebrity.
- Choppermount (Baruch College) – A mounting case made for current smartphones for hands-free video recording activities and GPS access.
- DJs First Project (Baruch College) – An online community of DJs, Electronic Dance Music (EDM) enthusiasts, and Industry insiders that showcases Master DJs, validates their skills and helps them build a following.
- I Love Free Concerts (Lehman College) – Acurated calendar website and email newsletter platform offering free live music event listings, serving one quarter of a million consumers in New York City and the greater area.
- Live Parking App (Baruch College) – A mobile app providing drivers with parking facility information, rates, and specials, which allows them to reserve parking before leaving home or work.
- Sedulous Shoes (School of Professional Studies) – Heeled shoes that turn into flats. Shoes will go from sexy to comfortable with the push of a button.
- Tesla Truck (Queens College) – A mobile STEM / hands-on lab and mobile maker-space that will bring courses like robot-building, flight design, 3D printing and vocational training to schools and the local community.
- The Beaut Commute (Baruch College) – A licensed team of beauticians provides on-the-go suite of 15-minute beauty services to the professional women of New York via mobile trailers.
- Unisooq (Baruch College) – A website that provides a localized network for CUNY students to buy, sell and exchange ideas on college issues, whether it’s recommendations for a class, used books or info on local events.
WHAT: 12th Annual CUNY IVE SmartPitch Challenge
WHEN: 5 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., Thursday, June 5
WHERE: CUNY Central, Kibbee Boardroom, 205 E. 42nd Street, New York, NY
TO RSVP to the SmartPitch Challenge or arrange interviews with students or experts, contact:
Celene McDermott, (646) 660-6134; email@example.com
Manny Romero, (646) 660-6141, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Baruch College:
Baruch College is a senior college in the City University of New York (CUNY) with a total enrollment of more than 17,000 students, who represent 160 countries and speak more than 100 languages. Ranked among the top 15% of U.S. colleges and the No. 5 public regional university, Baruch College is regularly recognized as among the most ethnically diverse colleges in the country. As a public institution with a tradition of academic excellence, Baruch College offers accessibility and opportunity for students from every corner of New York City and from around the world. For more about Baruch College, go to http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/.