The Class of 2014 is a Portrait of New York’s Feistiest Borough
May 28th, Bronx, New York — Bronx Community College proudly holds its 54th Commencement Exercises on Friday, May 30th. The Class of 2014 will gather on Ohio Field, the site of so many victories for this year’s Broncos men’s and women’s soccer teams, to receive diplomas and well-deserved kudos from BCC President Carole M. Berotte Joseph. Other speakers will include U.S.
Senator Charles E. Schumer, Valedictorian Afrah Abisse and keynote speaker Cid Wilson, the nationally recognized financial analyst and Dominican-American community leader and activist.
When the ceremonies are concluded, 1,884 former students will be freshly minted alumni. Other numbers of note:
- The youngest graduate is 17. Twenty-nine percent are 30 or older — and the very oldest is 77
- The Class of 2014 calls 53 countries home.
- The gender split is 63% women, 37% men.
- The most popular major is liberal arts (32%), followed by business and systems (21%) and criminal justice (12%).
- Twenty-eight graduates are veterans of our nation’s armed forces (BCC is particularly proud of its many services for these brave Americans).
- The Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society has 105 members in the Class of 2014.
This year’s Presidential Medallion will go to one of BCC’s own: Dr. Herman Stein, currently a full professor and formerly the chair of the BCC Department of Chemistry, where he began as an instructor in 1959, the year the College first opened its doors.
The pomp and circumstance will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. Three hours later, the Class of 2015 will be the new Big Men and Women on Campus.