Class of 2014 Profiles: A-List of Choices

June 4, 2014 | John Jay College of Criminal Justice

tariqA last-minute decision by Imtashal Tariq is proving to have been a wise one. The graduating senior was one week from starting classes as a transfer student at Baruch when she had an abrupt change of mind, applied to John Jay and now, after a stellar undergraduate career, is about to continue her education at the University of Cambridge in England — just one of several prestigious institutions that admitted her for graduate study.

“I was drawn by the International Criminal Justice major,” said Tariq, a first-generation college student who also completed a minor in Economics. “I tried to focus on what I was passionate about, and turn it into a career.”

As a John Jay student, Tariq has found her niche and excelled. She has been a McNair Scholar, a John Jay-Vera Fellow and a member of the award-winning Model United Nations team. She was a summer intern last year for the Pakistani ambassador to the U.N., and studied abroad at the Hellenic-American University in Greece, where she now has an offer to teach a summer course on immigration and nationalism.

“Travel is my outlet. I want to fill my passport with visa stamps,” said the 21-year-old Tariq. Her mother works for the New York Asian Women’s Center, she noted, “so I was always aware of the plight of women around the world — human trafficking, domestic violence, education inequality, and so forth.”

Crediting the mentorship of Professor Rosemary Barberet, Tariq applied and was accepted to Cambridge, Oxford, the London School of Economics and four other top-flight British universities, along with Columbia University and the University of Delaware in the U.S. With her sights set on eventually completing a doctorate and becoming a professor herself, Tariq said simply, “I’m very dedicated to knowledge and education — for myself, and especially for others.”