Class of 2014 Profiles: The Write Stuff

June 4, 2014 | John Jay College of Criminal Justice

constantinosConstantinos Katergaris may be a first-generation American, and the first in his family to graduate from college, but as of May 28, his résumé will boast a proud second — his second bachelor’s degree from John Jay.

He became a peace officer for CUNY after his 2012 graduation, he noted, because it provided an ideal way to enter a community-based law enforcement organization. “We have a population that is larger than some police districts, and we are responsible for all of the entire college’s safety needs. I know a lot of people, and I am very at home here,” said Katergaris, whose family hails from Paparousi, Greece.

He has also been deeply interested in literature and writing since he was a child and found encouragement from his English professors at John Jay to pursue this passion as well. This fall, Katergaris will begin pursuing a master of fine arts degree in Creative Writing at City College.

“I have a passion for literature and writing and for police work,” said Katergaris, whose favorite writers include Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle. “This passion really came alive with the guidance of the English Department faculty who encouraged me to pursue graduate work. Most of my work in creative writing deals with criminal justice issues. I feel like my job and education merge into a great interdisciplinary point of view in my writing.”