Summer is officially here and that means the five boroughs are buzzing with an array of festivals for music lovers to enjoy. Right here at Medgar Evers College (MEC), we are finalizing preparations for the 16th Annual Jazzy Jazz Festival! Beginning July 11th and every summer Friday thereafter, live bands will be staged outside on Crown Street, alongside the new Science Center at the corner of 1638 Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn.
The 2014 Jazzy Jazz Festival performances will take place from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM and include a host of exciting performers. This year’s lineup includes the following acts:
- MEC Jazz Ensemble & The Strobert Trio
- Dr. Mambo & The Experience Ensemble featuring Neil Clarke and Alex Blake
- Tulivu-Donna Cumberbatch: “The Come Sunday String Project” Live – voice strings and rhythm.
- Stanley Banks & Friends featuring Monte Croft
- Jeff King Band with Special Guests
- Beareather Reddy & The Brown Liquor Sounds Rudi Mwongozi (keyboards), Stanley Banks (bass) and Bernice Brooks (drums)
- The Swing Machine featuring Jazzmeia Horn vocalist and Warren Wolf on vibes
- Caribbean Cultural Celebration
- Poet in Residence for the Jazz Series, Artist, Nikki Williams
For more information, call (718) 270-5140 or (347) 243-6907.
About Medgar Evers College
Located in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, Medgar Evers College is a growing institution offering both Associate and Baccalaureate degrees. The nearly 7,000-member student body is primarily comprised of those who are the first in their families to attend college. A senior college within The City University of New York (CUNY) system, Medgar Evers College was established in 1970 with a mandate to meet the educational and social needs of the Central Brooklyn community. With a commitment to students who desire a sound academic foundation as well as an opportunity for personal development, Medgar Evers College seeks to provide high-quality, professional, career-oriented undergraduate degree programs in the context of a liberal arts education. For more information, visit www.mec.cuny.edu.