Domna Stanton Named by Mayor de Blasio to Commission on Human Rights

stanton_200Distinguished Professor Domna C. Stanton (French) has been appointed by Mayor Bill de Blasio to serve on the Commission on Human Rights.

A City agency, the Commission investigates and prosecutes complaints from residents whose rights might have been violated, as well as educates the public and encourages positive community relations.

“Hailing from Brooklyn to Brazil and ranging from rabbis to pastors, today’s appointees represent a diverse, progressive, and exceptionally qualified group sharing an unwavering commitment to safeguard the rights and dignity of all people in New York City,” Mayor de Blasio said in a statement.

Stanton is a renowned scholar of 17th-century and early-modern French studies with an influential feminist perspective. A prolific author, she also teaches and writes on international human rights. For a decade she served as a board member of Human Rights Watch, and remains active in the organization’s Women’s Right Division and the Policy Committee.

“I am honored to become part of this Commission and to work with my co-commissioners on issues of discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations in the years ahead,” Stanton said. “A crucial part of the Commission’s efforts is to educate the city’s diverse communities about their rights, and through our  work, to foster greater harmony and the sense of belonging in this great city. I am eager to put the academic and activist work I have done in human rights in the service of New York City.”

Stanton’s newest book, The Dynamics of Gender in Early Modern France (Ashgate), was published last month.