Archive for 2014

Getting Down to Business

September 30, 2014 | Borough of Manhattan Community College

“I learned about BMCC when I was growing up in Sri Lanka,” says 2014 business administration graduate, Thathsara Palliyaguru. “A family friend had come to BMCC and won the statewide robotics competition, and he was saying how wonderful the professors and staff are, and how BMCC helps you with all aspects, not just academia.” Palliyaguru, […]

#GoodIdea

Juan Batista, Office of Academic Affairs   If you don’t know what a hashtag is, don’t feel bad—the word was added to the Oxford English Dictionary only just this year. Hashtags, unspaced phrases prefixed with a number sign (#), are added to messages and widely used on social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook and […]

The Long Road to a Satisfying Life

“When I was at CUNY Start, I did a research project about becoming a teacher,” says Daniel Quiroz. “I told the other students, we’re not going to get rich overnight, but we will have a life that will be satisfying to us.” The long road to the life Quiroz envisioned started when he left his […]

First Place Honors, in Saving Lives

Left to Right: Kevin Ramdayal, Miguel Flores and Dave Cadogan Two paramedic instructors at BMCC, Kevin Ramdayal and Dave Cadogan, and an alumni of the program, Miguel Flores, recently won first place honors in the Fire Department of New York’s EMS Week Competition held in Metrotech Commons. All three members of the winning team are […]

Finding Beauty in Mathematics

(Left to right) BMCC Student Howie Terrence Shi and Professor Lina Wu   While visiting museums in Manhattan a few years ago, BMCC mathematics professor Lina Wu couldn’t help noticing that much of the artwork incorporated geometric shapes and patterns. The experience confirmed what she had long suspected—that equations, formulas and mathematical calculations often figure […]

Krystal on the Catwalk

When walking through Times Squares, tourists and locals alike are exposed to a plethora of colorful billboards. Some ads rotate, some blink, some are attached to a landmark… And some feature BMCC students. Krystal Garner graduated from BMCC in 2007 and then studied international business at SUNY Old Westbury, before pursuing her modeling and acting […]

The Laboratory as Classroom

Science professor Abel Navarro has a novel perspective on mistakes. As a teacher, mentor and research scientist, he thinks they can be a good thing. “I don’t believe in constantly looking over a student’s shoulder, making sure they’re doing everything right,” he says. “I trust my students and I think that makes a difference in […]

Are We Safe? Depends on Who You Ask.

Left to right: Michele Andre, Atheena Fraser and Gabrielle Giordano Recently, a group of BMCC students conducted on-the-street interviews as part of their research project, “Fear of Crime and Drugs in my Neighborhood” led by Professor Yolanda Martin, Coordinator of the BMCC Criminal Justice program. Administering a survey to people in their neighborhoods, students in […]

Start Here, Go to Princeton

(Left to right) BMCC students Thierno Bah and Pedro Raposo Two BMCC students, Pedro Raposo and Thierno Bah, are taking part in research projects at Princeton University this summer, thanks to a collaboration between Princeton’s School of Engineering and Applied Science and the CUNY-wide LSAMP (Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation) program. “We wanted to […]

Today’s Readers, Tomorrow’s Graduates

BMCC Ethnic Studies Professor Zetta Elliott has just released four books for young readers, all from Rosetta Press. Tackling subjects such as a child’s difficulty accepting a divorced parent’s new partner and a boy’s problematic love of doll making, The Boy in the Bubble, Max Loves Muñecas!, Room in My Heart and The Phoenix on Barclay […]

Hot Off the Press

(Left to right) Crystal Williams, Lara Stapleton, Rey Harris Hot off the press, The Guild magazine features poetry, fiction, essays and artwork by BMCC student writers. The magazine was produced by the Guild, a BMCC club open to all students and led by faculty advisor and fiction writer Lara Stapleton. Its current president is Crystal Williams, […]

BMCC Signs Gift Agreement with Santander

Santander Universities Director Eduardo Garrido and BMCC President Antonio Pérez “It is my great pleasure to announce that Borough of Manhattan Community College has a new friend,” said BMCC President Antonio Pérez at a June 4, 2014 signing ceremony between BMCC and Santander Universities, a division of Santander Bank, N.A. “As a former U.S. university […]

“Today Is About You”

BMCC’s 49th Commencement Ceremony honoring over 3,200 graduates was held Friday, May 30, 2014 in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, identified by their yellow sashes, led the processional and were followed by students representing over 30 majors; a steady stream of blue gowns, orange sashes and […]

Baruch College Presents Climate Change Film Discussion Series

September 30, 2014 | Baruch College

Baruch College is hosting a two-part film series and discussion about climate change and its role as a destabilizing force threatening our health and undermining our global economy.

Sharon Clarke (‘93) Wins Civil Court Judge Primary Election

September 29, 2014 | CUNY School of Law

Alumna Sharon Clarke (‘93) has won Brooklyn’s 6th district Democratic primary election to serve as a Civil Court Judge.

Top Grants

September 29, 2014 | Borough of Manhattan Community College

CCTOP winners (left to right): Daniel Murphy, Juliette Perez, Anne Gorin and Ryan Bias “They move mountains for us.” This is how communication studies major Anne Gorin describes her professors at BMCC, and classmates Ryan Bias, Daniel Murphy and Juliette Perez are quick to agree. All four students attended a workshop last fall that addressed […]

Time to Shine

“Your name will be called tonight, but this is not the last time your name will be called,” were the auspicious words of VP for Student Affairs Marva Craig to BMCC’s most high-achieving students, as they gathered for the 2014 Honors Convocation in Theatre 2. Sixty-five students received Department and Special Awards in over 30 […]

Success Is in Her DNA

BMCC Valedictorian Cindy Salazar To hear Cindy Salazar tell it, she had no idea what she wanted to study when she enrolled in BMCC three years ago. “I knew I would eventually pursue a career in business,” she says. “But as for what I’d major in, I was clueless.” Salazar decided to major in Liberal […]

Getting with the Program

Left: Maryna Asipchuk, Prof. Mohammad Q. Azhar, Rodny Perez, and Chris Chapman (on screen) Talk about starting off with a bang: Barely two months after it came into existence, BMCC’s Computer Programming Club went up against more established teams from three other colleges in the Community College Programming Contest and walked off with first and […]

Stars Align for BMCC

Panoramic views from the 54th floor of World Trade Center 4 created a stunning backdrop for the BMCC Foundation 2014 Gala, Reaching for the Stars: The Next 50 Years at BMCC. The Gala raised well over $1 million in donations, including $75,000 contributed the night of the event through a silent auction and pledges. Film legend […]