LaGuardia Community College Student Gets Award from New York State Mathematics Association of Two-Year Colleges

Long Island City,NY—April 13, 2015—LaGuardia Community College student and Math Society member, Alzahra Ahmed, has received an $800 scholarship from the New York State Mathematics Association of Two-Year Colleges (NYSMATYC) Scholarship Committee.

Alzahra wants to become an aerospace engineer and at LaGuardia is studying mechanical engineering. She is expected to graduate in Fall, 2015.

Libyan born, Alzahra moved to Sudan when she was six years old.

In 2012, her parents immigrated to the United States seeking economic opportunities and a better life for their six children. “Education always has been a priority for my parents,” said Alzahra.  “They felt this country would give us an educational opportunity and more chances to succeed in life.”

She entered LaGuardia in Fall 2013, originally to pursue a pharmaceutical degree but after taking math and engineering classes, and encouraged by her professors Xin Gao and Tao Chen, Alzara realized that she has a passion for engineering.

“Engineering is a very creative field,” she said. “If you know the concept you can start to innovate and your imagination becomes a reality. So I changed my major.”

“There are two things which are equally important for success: talent and hard work.  Alzahra is one of the students who has both. I am very proud of her and what she has achieved so far,” said Xin Gao, an Assistant Professor in LaGuardia’s Natural Sciences Department.

In her spare time, Alzahra works as a math tutor at the Students Government Association Hall and College’s Academic Peer Instruction (API) programs. Both programs provide tutoring help for students.

“I feel good when I am helping other students and sharing my knowledge,” said Alzahra. “I hope this country can provide a stronger math foundation in elementary, middle and high-schools education to better prepare youth for college.”

•     •     •     •

LaGuardia Community College located in Long Island City, Queens, was founded in 1971 as a bold experiment in opening the doors of higher education to all, and we proudly carry forward that legacy today. LaGuardia educates students through over 50 degree, certificate and continuing education programs, providing an inspiring place for students to achieve their dreams. Upon graduation, LaGuardia students’ lives are transformed as family income increases 17%, and students transfer to four-year colleges at three times the national average. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), LaGuardia is a nationally recognized leader among community colleges for boundary-breaking success educating underserved students. At LaGuardia we imagine new ideas, create new curriculum and pioneer programs to make our community and our country stronger. Visit www.laguardia.edu to learn more.