Gilman Scholarships to Help Baruch Students Study in Hong Kong, Berlin, Amsterdam & France

Nora_001pamela_000ruth

From Left: Nora Hristova, Pamela Ozga and Ruth Walker. Not Pictured: Jonathan Morales.

Baruch College students Nora Hristova ‘16, Jonathan Morales, Pamela Ozga ‘17, and Ruth Laryea-Walker ’16 have been awarded Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships to study abroad for the fall 2015 semester. Nora was awarded $3,500 and Jonathan received $3,000, while Pamela and Ruth each received $2,500. All four Gilman recipients will be using their scholarships to study on Baruch College exchange programs at respectively the City University of Hong Kong, the Berlin School of Economics and Law, the University of Amsterdam and Jean Moulin University in Lyon, France.

The Gilman Scholarship, named after former Congressman Benjamin A. Gilman of New York, is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and grants awards up to $5,000 to apply towards study abroad or internship program costs.

“The whole purpose of an exchange program is to give students the most cost-effective per credit opportunity to study abroad.” said Richard Mitten, Director of Study Abroad at Baruch College. “Nora, Jonathan, Pamela and Ruth will all be earning credits toward their majors or minors while abroad. The longer you stay abroad, the more you learn about another culture and the more you develop intercultural skills. The fact is a semester-long exchange program can be less expensive than students fear.”

“I am interested to see how the business culture in Hong Kong differs from that of the United States and other Western countries” said International Business major Nora Hristova. “I am currently pursuing a minor in Political Science and I plan to pursue a master’s degree in international relations and diplomacy. I want to get a better understanding of Hong Kong’s ‘one country, two systems’ principle and to witness first-hand the social revolution for freedom and democratic rule.”

Ruth Walker, a native of Ghana, said “I hope to be fluent in the French language, since now I am conversational in the language. I would like to work with a non-governmental organization which brings about economic developments to many countries, especially in Ghana. I also aim to work for a foreign organization and be a foreign language translator.”

“I would say that if you’re looking to study abroad, you need to be a planner. If you’re not already someone who is organized and future oriented, start developing those skills now.” advised Pamela Ozga. “The process, while all worth it in the end, takes time and effort. You need to be cognizant of dates, deadlines, and opportunities that are there for you. Get educated on what options are there for you. Even if you think you can’t afford to go abroad, you absolutely can. There are opportunities like the amazing Gilman Scholarship, or ones within your school. And lastly, be open-minded and think big. Don’t go for stereotypical places because those may seem like fun places. Go to places that will expand your beliefs. Go to places that can somehow help you on your academic, professional, and personal paths in life.”

Baruch President Mitchel B. Wallerstein has set a five-year goal of sending at least 15% of Baruch students abroad each year for international experience. “Let’s become one of the nation’s leading models for how an affordable college with limited resources is able to give its deserving students exposure to the world,” he said, in his recent State of the College address.

Students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to visit the Study Abroad Office website, or visit the office on the 8th floor of the Annex at 137 E. 25th Street (next to the Library Building).