The GC’s Donna Nickitas to Receive Major Award from National League for Nursing

donnanProfessor Donna M. Nickitas (GC/Hunter, Nursing) has been selected to receive the 2015 Mary Adelaide Nutting Award for Outstanding Teaching or Leadership in Nursing Education, a prestigious honor bestowed biennially by the National League for Nursing.

An American educator, administrator, and author in the field of nursing, Mary Adelaide Nutting (1858-1948) is considered the world’s first professor of nursing.

The award recognizes those who lead through scholarly activities; encourage creative interactions with students from diverse backgrounds; and publish scholarly works that advance nursing education knowledge.

“This is a major career award and I am deeply honored as I was nominated by a former doctoral student, Dr. Barbara Cohen, and endorsed by several other students,” said Nickitas, who serves as Executive Officer of the Doctoral Program in Nursing. “As a CUNY Nursing professor, I am thrilled to bring this recognition to the Graduate Center and to Hunter College.”

With 40,000 individual and 1,200 institutional members, the National League for Nursing is the premier organization for nurse faculty and leaders in nursing education.

Nickitas will be presented the award at the NLN Education Summit in Las Vegas next month.

See more at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/News/GC-News/Detail?id=31931#sthash.hFr1TZWl.dpuf