City Tech Linguist Suggests Wider Application of Research in New Book

City Tech congratulates Professor Lubie Grujicic-Alatriste, Department of English, on the publication of her new book Linking Discourse Studies to Professional Practice, with Multilingual Matters (2015), a renowned British publisher in the domain of applied linguistics. Roger W. Shuy, Professor Emeritus at Georgetown University, calls the collection a “wake-up call to applied linguists everywhere,” for showing how linguists can apply theory and research to a wide range of areas beyond education—such as business, mediation, negotiation, politics, family communication, and the media.

“As a graduate student and then, as a professor and researcher, I’ve always been irked by the gap between the scholarly ivory tower and the actual world of language use. A bridge is truly needed in order to make our scholarship more meaningful to the world around us. That is why I started this international project,” said Grujicic-Alatriste. “I am happy to say that after four years of collaboration, we are now well into our second volume and the third one is planned too. I am grateful for the support I have received from renowned international scholars who are leading the applied linguistics ‘applied’ movement.”

Grujicic-Alatriste’s book examines how discourse analysts could best disseminate their research findings in real world settings. Each chapter presents a study of spoken or written discourse with authors putting forward a plan for how to engage professional practice in their work, using this volume’s Framework for Application.

Techniques used include Conversation Analysis and Genre Analysis, both in combination with other methods, and Critical Discourse Analysis. Contributions are loosely grouped by setting and include: workplace and business settings; education settings; private and public settings; and government and media settings.

Linking Discourse Studies to Professional Practice aims to link the end of research and the onset of praxis by helping analysts to move forward with ideas for dissemination, collaboration and even intervention. The book will be of interest to all researchers conducting discourse analysis in professional settings.

“The present book is a most welcome contribution to the development of applied linguistics. The editor and authors who have worked to assemble this volume merit the attention, appreciation and emulation of the wider world of applied linguistics, so that…applied linguistics programmes and research are genuinely fit for purpose,” said Martin Bygate, St. Mary’s College, London, UK.

Lubie Grujicic-Alatriste is Associate Professor in the Department of English at City Tech (New York City College of Technology). She has taught, presented and published on the topics of discourse analysis, critical discourse, genre analysis, genre transfer and genre-based teaching, acquisition of second language writing and second language teaching.