Baruch College Professor Deborah Balk Named 2016 Carnegie Fellowship Recipient

balk

Professor Deborah Balk

NEW YORK, NY – April 19, 2016–Baruch College professor, Dr. Deborah Balk, has been named a recipient of a 2016 Andrew Carnegie Fellowship from the Carnegie Corporation of New York. She was among the esteemed group of 33 winners who were selected from nearly 200 nominations.

Dr. Balk has been awarded $200,000, which she will use to fund her research on climate-related vulnerability in the 21st century and the roles of urbanization and migration. The Andrew Carnegie Fellows Program provides fellowships to advance research in the social sciences and humanities. The anticipated result of each fellowship is the publication of a book or major study.

“I am so honored to receive this award. In my effort to better understand the ramifications of urbanization and climate change, I’ve had the great privilege to work with superb colleagues from a wide variety of disciplines around the world,” said Dr. Balk.

“I’ve been fortunate to have the steadfast support of Baruch College and the CUNY Institute for Demographic Research as I carry out this research.  I’m enormously grateful to the Carnegie Corporation for this wonderful fellowship, which will give me significant resources to advance this work, enabling me both to answer long-held questions and raise important new ones.”

For more information on this year’s fellows, see here.

###

About Baruch College:

Baruch College is a senior college in the City University of New York (CUNY) with a total enrollment of more than 18,000 students, who represent 164 countries and speak more than 129 languages. Ranked among the top 15% of U.S. colleges and the No. 4 public regional university, Baruch College is regularly recognized as among the most ethnically diverse colleges in the country. As a public institution with a tradition of academic excellence, Baruch College offers accessibility and opportunity for students from every corner of New York City and from around the world.  For more about Baruch College, go to http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/.

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Suzanne Bronski, (646) 660-6093, suzanne.bronski@baruch.cuny.edu

Evelisse Luciano, (646) 660-6134, evelisse.luciano@baruch.cuny.edu