Baruch College Student Earns Prestigious Grant to Study in China

The competitive Boren Scholarship from the National Security Education Program funds study abroad in global areas critical to U.S. national security

kwadwo ennin

Kwadwo Ennin’17

NEW YORK, NY- April 26, 2016 – Baruch College student Kwadwo Ennin’17 has earned a NSEP/David L. Boren Scholarship to study abroad in China. The Boren Scholarship is a competitive grant from the National Security Education Program, designed to encourage undergraduates to study abroad in areas of the world critical to U.S. national security.

Ennin is majoring in Computer Information Systems and will spend the summer studying Mandarin in China at Peking University. In the fall, he will study at the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing.

“Being a recipient of the NSEP/David L. Boren Scholarship means a lot for my professional as well as my personal development,” says Ennin. “I envision having a career in business and international development in an information technology capacity. So the scholarship affords me the opportunity to study abroad in Beijing which has emerged as the epicenter of immense development.”

Ennin, who is originally from Ghana, says he selected Baruch for what the College offers. “I chose Baruch as my institution of higher education because it offers the strongest programs and resources such as scholarships and career counselling for the fields I am interested in, and at a cost that I would be able to afford.”

Boren Scholars represent a vital pool of highly motivated individuals who wish to work in the federal national security arena. In exchange for funding, Boren Scholars commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.

Ennin says he hopes to complete his service requirement at either the U.S. Department of State or the United States Agency for International Development and work overseas using the language and cultural skills he acquires while studying abroad.

Boren Scholarships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad programs, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.

###

About Baruch College:

Baruch College is a senior college in the City University of New York (CUNY) with a total enrollment of more than 18,000 students, who represent 164 countries and speak more than 129 languages. Ranked among the top 15% of U.S. colleges and the No. 4 public regional university, Baruch College is regularly recognized as among the most ethnically diverse colleges in the country. As a public institution with a tradition of academic excellence, Baruch College offers accessibility and opportunity for students from every corner of New York City and from around the world.  For more about Baruch College, go to http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/.

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Suzanne Bronski, (646) 660-6093, suzanne.bronski@baruch.cuny.edu

Mercedes Sanchez, (646) 660-6112, mercedes.sanchez@baruch.cuny.edu