York College, CUNY alum Now Dean of Graduate School at Brown University

Andrew G. Campbell, Ph.D., a member of the York College, CUNY Class of 1981, and long-term professor of Medical Science in the Medical Science/Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, was recently appointed Dean of the Graduate School at the Providence, Rhode–based Ivy League.

Dr. Campbell, who graduated from York with a major in Biology and minor in French, grew up in the vicinity of York’s campus in Jamaica, Queens. Asked how York helped him achieve his goals, Campbell noted the outstanding mentorship as having been crucial to his development.

“York was my academic birthplace, said Campbell. “I got research experience that set me on the course to launching my career. It started with my training as an undergraduate, thinking about what I wanted to do and the expert training I received at York College. What I learned at York made me realize opportunities for myself. There were very supportive people at York College. I had research experience there that set me on the course to launch my future.”

Among the York faculty who mentored Campbell, then a Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS) program participant, were Dr. Leslie A. Lewis and Dr. Paul Young. The training led to his acceptance into a Ph.D. program at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) where he also excelled.

“The MBRS program was designed to enable young, bright minority students to attain leadership positions in Biomedical Research in the United States, said Dr. Lewis. “Andrew’s appointment as Dean of the Graduate School at Brown University is clearly one of several pieces of evidence that at York, that goal is being fulfilled.”

For many years Campbell has been director of the Graduate Program in Pathobiology in the Division of Biology and Medicine at Brown, where he oversees the training of Ph.D. and MD/Ph.D. candidates. His research interest focuses on Tropical Medicine and Parasitology. His research has been funded by a number of agencies, including the National Science Foundation and the American Foundation for AIDS Research (AmFAR).

He is a believer in “paying it forward” too.

“I want make sure that gateways to education remain open to everyone,” said Campbell of his plans as Dean of the Graduate School. “I want to increase the gateway to make sure that students like me…from my background have opportunities available to them. I will maintain excellence while broadening participation by all groups.”

He was already doing just that.