Macaulay Students Win Gilman International Scholarships to Study Abroad

Macaulay  Honors College at The City University of New York congratulates juniors Saffia Rahimtoola (City College),  Lubna Rahmani (Baruch College), and Christine Zhou (Baruch College) for winning the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. The Gilman Scholarship Program goal is to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go by offering awards to U.S. undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints. It is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.

Saffia Rahimtoola is majoring in digital design and is studying in Florence, Italy. The Greenpoint resident, whose mom is from the Dominican Republic, was thrilled when she learned she’d won the Gilman Scholarship: “I was in total shock and so excited. I couldn’t believe that I was actually given the opportunity to study abroad with so much help.”

Lubna Rahmani

Lubna Rahmani

Lubna Rahmani, whose major is international business, will spend this summer studying in Kyoto, Japan. Her family is originally from Bangladesh and she not only the first to attend college, but when she travels to Japan it will mark her first time on an airplane. “I am thankful, and very surprised to have received such a distinguished and prestigious award. Thank you Macaulay and Baruch Honors staff for making this award a reality for me,” said Rahmani, an Elmhurst resident.

Christine Zhou, who used her Gilman scholarship to study this past year in Dublin, Ireland, is majoring in public affairs and is also the first in her family to attend college. Her parents arrived from Suzhou, China 20 years ago and they reside in New Dorp. “I was in initial disbelief that quickly transitioned over to ecstasy because the amount from Gilman would be a tremendous help financially,” said Zhou.

Christine Zhou

Christine Zhou

The Gilman Program aims to encourage students to choose non-traditional study and intern destinations, especially those outside of Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Award recipients are chosen by a competitive selection process and must use the award to defray eligible study or intern abroad costs. Over 2,700 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded this academic year for U.S. citizen undergraduates to study or intern abroad.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and the largest city, New York City. Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, and an Opportunities Fund to pursue global learning, research and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges: Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, and Queens Colleges and the College of Staten Island. For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu.

Contact: Sheila Stainback, sheila.stainback@mhc.cuny.edu or 212-729-2924.