Baruch College Students Receive Gilman Scholarships to Study Abroad in Seoul, Paris and Madrid

gilmanfall2016

From left: Sok Cheng, Whitnney Dihmes and Alexandra Lopez

NEW YORK, NY- August 2, 2016- Baruch College students Sok Cheng ’17, Whitnney Dihmes ’17 and Alexandra Lopez ’17 are among the more than 850 undergraduate students from 324 colleges and universities across the U.S. selected to receive the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, to study or intern abroad during the academic year 2016-2017.

The Gilman Scholarship recipients will be using their scholarships to study at Yonsei University in Seoul (Cheng), University of Paris-Dauphine in France (Dihmes) and the Charles III University of Madrid (Lopez).

This year, Baruch leads among all CUNY colleges, along with Lehman College, for having most Fall 2016 Gilman recipients.

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad. The Gilman Scholarship is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.

“I am proud to have received this scholarship because it will allow me to study abroad which was a goal of mine in my academic career,” said Alexandra Lopez, an International Business major at the Zicklin School of Business. “Scholarships like this help young students with few resources, such as myself, to have this amazing opportunity.”

“Being a Gilman Scholarship recipient means the world to me,” said fellow International Business major Whitnney Dihmes. “It is truly an honor and a great opportunity to receive this scholarship. I always kept in mind that this scholarship is a national award, therefore it was extremely competitive. Receiving this scholarship from a national standpoint is a blessing and I am grateful that it will help the financial burden that studying abroad often provides to students.”

For aspiring Army Officer and current ROTC cadet Sok Cheng, the opportunity to study abroad is an invaluable experience she hopes to apply to her future career. “I always wanted to study abroad during my college years because I believe it will play a huge part in building my confidence and to learn about a different culture,” said Cheng. “I hope to become more independent, learn about the Korean culture, and experience a different lifestyle. I hope to apply what I experience abroad to my career.”

“As an International Business major, this experience is exactly what I needed in order to gauge what my career would be like,” Lopez added. “I want to be able to emerge myself in another culture that is very different from mine and gain knowledge of the business world from the perspective of the international community.”

“A total of 12 Baruch students have been successful in winning Gilman International Scholarships to study abroad during the 2015/16 academic year. In addition, six Baruch students won other national fellowships to travel abroad for educational and cultural exchange,” said Valeria Hymas, Deputy Director of National and Prestigious Fellowships Advising at Baruch College. “Their achievement at winning these competitive awards is emblematic of the dedication and rigor to academic, personal, and professional success of all of Baruch’s students. They will return to Baruch with a greater understanding of the world and a stronger conviction of their abilities to thrive with any goal that they set for themselves.”

“My advice to all of you who are interested and thinking to study abroad is to do it,” said Dihmes. “Don’t let the financial aspect of studying abroad scare you or hold you back, there are myriad of scholarships available that help to decrease the financial burden.”

Students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to visit the Study Abroad Office website or visit the office at 137 E. 25th Street (next to the Library Building), 8th floor.

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Suzanne Bronski, (646) 660-6093, suzanne.bronski@baruch.cuny.edu

Evelisse Luciano, (646) 660-6134, evelisse.luciano@baruch.cuny.edu