Government Leaders Support Chancellor Milliken’s Statement on Welcoming, Supporting and Educating Immigrants

Government Leaders Support Chancellor Milliken’s Statement

Congressman-Elect and New York State Senate Member Adriano Espaillat 

“CUNY has always been a beacon of hope for immigrants; an institution with an unwavering commitment to education to make America the land of opportunity,” said Congressman-Elect and New York State Senate Member Adriano Espaillat. Today, CUNY Chancellor Milliken reaffirmed that commitment by calling on President-elect Trump to preserve DACA. We must all stand together during this challenging time to protect the progress we have made for our neighbors that are living in the shadows.

Statement of Support for CUNY Chancellor James B. Milliken from Assemblymember Rodneyse Bichotte, A daughter of Immigrants

“I am heartened by City University of New York (CUNY) Chancellor James Milliken’s commitment to take any steps available under the law to protect and support undocumented students as well as his commitment to pursue other financial means to support these students if the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) comes under attack,” said Assemblymember Bichotte, a daughter of immigrants. “I stand beside the Chancellor and at the same time continue to advocate for the passage of the DREAM Act, as well as an allocation to implement NY Promise, which would provide free tuition for community college. Education is still the best tool we have to create a level playing field. Therefore, we must all do our part to ensure that opportunity remains open to all.”

New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito

“New York City has been a haven for immigrants seeking the American dream since the founding of this nation,” said City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito. “As the flagship university system of the city, CUNY has taken the lead in educating these welcomed additions to our population for generations. The pursuit of education is one of the noblest goals, and no one should be penalized for seeking a better life here or anywhere else. Chancellor Milliken echoes the commitment of myself, the City Council, and many others around the five boroughs to maintaining and preserving our home as a place where anyone, no matter their circumstance, can be ensured equal protection and the opportunity to thrive.”

New York City Council Member Carlos Menchaca

“I applaud the statement and actions of Chancellor Milliken. The existing political climate has our immigrant New Yorkers feeling very afraid – and that includes CUNY students, their families, their friends, neighbors and colleagues. It is powerful to make a statement that our City institutions of higher learning will stand by immigrants and follow their mandate,” said Council Member Carlos Menchaca. “We must provide educational opportunities to the people of New York, regardless of immigration status. This and other stances I have seen taken by my colleagues and other City officials and, of course, the advocacy of courageous New Yorkers, keep me hopeful.”

New York City Council Member Daniel Dromm

“I applaud Chancellor Milliken for his unmitigated support of undocumented CUNY students,” said Council Member Daniel Dromm. “CUNY is one of our city’s premier educational institutions. Our immigrant students are a very large part of the university’s success. I pledge to work alongside the Chancellor and my colleagues in government to protect these students and their futures.”

New York State Assembly Member Francisco P. Moya

“President Elect Trump’s anti-immigration platform poses a serious threat to the lives of thousands of DACAmented students here in New York. The results of a presidential election should never compromise the time and dedication a student has invested in earning their degree. Regardless of where they were born, every student should be able to pursue an education without their government acting as an obstacle. I’ve called for SUNY and CUNY schools to become sanctuary campuses that refuse to cooperate with federal authorities for the purpose of deporting undocumented students. I commend CUNY Chancellor Milliken for standing in solidarity with New York’s students and putting those safeguards into practice at CUNY schools and making New York City a safe haven for higher education,” said Assembly Member Francisco P. Moya.

Statement of Support from the Student Affairs Committee of the CUNY University Faculty Senate

“The members of the Student Affairs Committee of the CUNY University Faculty Senate have voted to express their opinion as a single voice concerning the continuation of our country’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program (DACA). We wish to make it clear to our city, state, and nation that we support Chancellor Milliken’s November 18 statement regarding the importance of DACA to all residents of the US. One of the greatest cultural resources that the City University of New York possesses is its diversity. Since 1847, the City University has educated rich and poor alike, whether citizen or immigrant. CUNY students, faculty, staff and administration continue today as a wonderful mixture of the United States’ multiple heritages. In the future, as in the past, it is this heritage of our alumni and students who will assure the continued greatness of our city, state, and nation. The contributions already made by DACA students and graduates are clear. Their academic commitments are carefully measured, as described in the DACA guidelines, showing scholastic accomplishment in every category. The CUNY UFS Student Affairs Committee stands beside our students. With a single voice, we support our students’ continued efforts to improve their lives and those lives around them. Our scholars need a sense of security and normality in order to perfect and to accomplish their research and creative endeavors. We urge national leaders to avoid creating a problem where none exists.”