Macaulay Honors College Students Win Fulbright Awards

photo of student

Alexandra Whittaker

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York is pleased to announce that John Wetmore, ’17 (Hunter College) and Alexandra (Sasha) Whittaker,’17 (City College) have received Fulbright Scholarship awards. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers research, study and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries to recent graduates and graduate students.

Sasha Whittaker is the recipient of a 2017-2018 Fulbright Study/Research Grant to Poland. She will spend nine months at Adam Mickiewicz University (UAM) in Poznań to research post-World War II Polish photography. Whittaker, who graduates from Macaulay and City College this June with a BA degree, will also take courses at the UAM Institute of Art History and study Polish.

The Riverdale, Bronx, resident discovered her passion for art history, with a special interest in the history of photography at CCNY. The opportunity to study abroad in Prague and Kraków deepened her interest in art and architecture from central and eastern Europe. Whittaker’s current research examines the activities of Czech and Polish photographers during the Cold War, focusing on the complicated relationship between artists and totalitarian states.

photo of student

John Wetmore

In addition, Whittaker is a Lisa Goldberg/Revson Scholar and a Horace W. GoldsmithScholar at Macaulay Honors College.

John Wetmore has won a Fulbright Secondary Teaching Assistantship Fellowship. Wetmore has a double major in psychology and classical studies; he has a minor in chemistry. His goal is to pursue a career in public health, specifically in biostatics. As a Fulbright award-winner, the Staten Island native said he will be working in Colegio Decroly, a secondary school in Spain.

“I hope to enter the classroom as both a language instructor and a learner, sharing my knowledge of the English language and the culture of the United States while simultaneously improving my Spanish oral and written communication skills as well as my understanding of Spanish culture,” said Wetmore.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and the largest city, New York City. Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full tuition scholarship*, a laptop and technology support, and exclusive access to apply for grants from a Macaulay fund to pursue global learning, research and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges: Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, and Queens Colleges and the College of Staten Island. For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu.

*Students must meet CUNY NYS residency requirements for in-state tuition to receive the Macaulay tuition scholarship.