Macaulay Honors College Student Accepted to 11 Medical Schools

March 30, 2017 | Macaulay Honors College

Chelsea Batista

Chelsea Batista, a senior at Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College, has received a remarkable 11 acceptances to top medical schools. Her initial goal was to get in to just one, but the past few weeks have seen letter after letter of acceptance arriving in her mailbox.

“When the first acceptance came in from SUNY Downstate, I thought, ‘Thank goodness, at least now I know I’m going to medical school, no matter what,’” said Chelsea, an East New York resident. “But then a few weeks later, more started coming in and I didn’t expect it to be so many. With all that hard work I put in, studying all night—it was all worth it.”

Chelsea is still in the process of making a final decision. So far, two of the schools have awarded her a full tuition scholarship. She has received acceptances from these medical schools: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Weill Cornell Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, Howard University College of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York University, SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine, and Tufts University School of Medicine.

“I am most proud of achieving my goal I’ve been working towards for so long and becoming a role model for my younger siblings and my little cousins. My accomplishments have opened them up to the many careers they could pursue, no matter their background. Because of what I’ve done, they no longer look at being a doctor or lawyer or engineer as a pipedream, but a possibility.”

“We are very proud of the remarkable accomplishments of Chelsea, who represents the kind of high-achieving, hard-working, dedicated students who attend Macaulay Honors College,” said Macaulay Dean Mary C. Pearl, Ph.D. “Chelsea’s transformational experiences at the school have played a part in her success, such as studying in Spain and holding breast cancer awareness workshops here in New York.”

Chelsea’s roots are humble. She is the daughter of parents who immigrated from the Dominican Republic. Academically, her parents had set the achievement bar quite high.

“Both of my parents immigrated to New York from different parts of the DR: my mom from La Villa Alta Gracia and my dad from La Vega. They grew up in large, low income families and yet both managed to become the first in their families to get college degrees. My mom is one of the directors of the College NOW program at Kingsborough Community College and my dad was an NYPD detective.”

Chelsea majored in Biology and is on the Dean’s List, but she still has found time for lighter fare. In her spare time, she is an avid reader and is working on writing a fantasy fiction novel. A significant part of her achievement at Macaulay is a result of the community of high achievers who have inspired her.

“The friends I’ve made and the people I’ve met through Macaulay are kind and supportive and ambitious—exactly the kind of people I love to have around me because we all motivate each other. It was by far the best part of the experience for me, because it made my college experience worthwhile.”

Chelsea is next looking forward to beginning her first year of medical school, and will wait for all her financial packages to come in before selecting the school she will attend.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers exceptional students a uniquely personalized education with access to the vast resources of the nation’s largest urban university and the largest city, New York City. Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, Macaulay students receive a full tuition scholarship*, a laptop and technology support, and exclusive access to apply for grants from a Macaulay fund to pursue global learning, research and service opportunities. Macaulay students enroll in one of eight CUNY senior colleges: Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, and Queens Colleges and the College of Staten Island. For more information, see macaulay.cuny.edu.

*Students must meet CUNY NYS residency requirements for in-state tuition to receive the Macaulay tuition scholarship.