Message from Chancellor Milliken Regarding His Health

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to let you know that I have recently been diagnosed with throat cancer. Fortunately, it is a fairly common and highly curable form of this disease. The cancer was discovered during a routine physical earlier this month and, since that time, I have undergone numerous tests and meetings with doctors to determine the best treatment plan. I am otherwise in excellent health, the cancer has not spread beyond the throat area, and my prognosis is very good.

I am being treated at Memorial Sloan-Kettering, one of the country’s leading cancer centers. The treatment program prescribed for me, which will include radiation and chemotherapy, will begin soon and continue for about seven weeks, and then there will be a recovery period. My doctors have advised me that I can continue a fairly routine work schedule during much of this period.

I will be meeting with my senior staff and the college presidents in the coming days to plan for what I expect will be minimal disruption in our operations during the period of my treatment and recovery. We have very capable leadership in place, and I am confident that CUNY will continue its remarkable progress. I have full confidence in the medical professionals who are treating me and look forward to making a complete recovery before the fall term begins. As always, thank you for your leadership and support.

Sincerely,

JBM

James B. Milliken
Chancellor
The City University of New York