Baruch College MPA Graduates Earn Competitive New York Excelsior Service Fellowships

From the Marxe School of Public Affairs to State Government Positions

NEW YORK, NY- July 31, 2017 – Baruch College’s Marxe School of Public and International Affairs announced that four of its Master in Public Administration (MPA) graduates from the class of 2017 have been selected to participate in the competitive Excelsior Service Fellowship Program.

Launched by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo in 2013, the program brings “highly talented recent graduates of law, graduate and professional schools into state government service. Excelsior Fellows bring diverse backgrounds and new perspectives to a host of policy and operational positions in New York State government.”  Beginning in early September, the fellowship runs two years within the New York State’s Executive Chamber, a government agency, or authority.

“These fellowships were designed to attract people of great talent to leadership roles in government,” says David Birdsell, Dean of Baruch’s School of Public Affairs. “We are very proud to have so many of our alumni involved in the program since its establishment and particularly congratulate this year’s group of four outstanding Excelsior Fellows.”

According to Dean Birdsell, the Excelsior Fellows work full-time alongside senior members of the administration and play a policy-influencing role in New York State with the opportunity to work on the most pressing issues of the day.

To date, more than 25 graduates of the Marxe School’s MPA program have been accepted into the program since it was launched four years ago and have worked at such top-tier state agencies as Empire State Development, The Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH), the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA), and the state’s Executive Chamber.

Meet the 2017 Excelsior Service Fellows

Tydie Abreu

Tydie Abreu, Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Executive Office, Albany, NY

”The Excelsior Fellowship is the career opportunity I’ve been hoping for. Throughout my undergraduate studies, years of work experience, and later grad school at Baruch, my ultimate goal was to obtain a role where I can influence policy and enhance educational opportunities for youth. Now with my placement at HESC, I finally have the opportunity to do so. As a born and bred New Yorker, I am so excited to give back and serve the place I call home.”

Nabila Ibrahim

Nabila Ibrahim, Developmental Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC), Executive Office, Albany, NY

“I’m very excited to start my career in the New York State government through the Excelsior Fellowship Program. Working with people with disabilities has been my passion throughout my life. My placement in the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council will not only give me the opportunity to provide direct services but also to advocate for more programs and resources for the community.”

Danny Lundy

Danny Lundy – NYS Thruway, Office of Administrative Services, Albany, NY

“The Excelsior Fellowship is a great opportunity to see the inner workings of NY state government and watch how policy is implemented, all while gaining valuable work experience. I am honored to be a part of this program, and can’t wait to see what this experience brings.”

Ben Matthison

Ben Mattison, Department of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, Executive Office (working on FEMA storm resiliency grant), Albany, NY

“I am honored and elated to have been chosen as one of Baruch’s New York State Excelsior Service Fellows. It’s an exceptional opportunity for me to put the skills I developed earning my MPA to work for the state of New York and a vital stepping stone to a career in public service.”

Competitive Selection Process

The selection process involved faculty and administrator nominations, an application in which the students had to articulate their interests and qualifications via a statement of purpose, and an interview during which a committee assessed their interests, qualifications, drive, and potential for success via a variety of traditional, behavioral, and scenario-based questions.  The process is highly competitive and approximately 60 fellows are chosen each year.

In addition to Baruch College, participating schools include Albany Law School, Cornell Law School, the New York University’s School of Law and its Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, and Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs, among others.

For more information about the MPA program at the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, go here.  Applications are now being accepted for fall 2017.

###